Driving/speeding

not to mention some YouTube video of it out there somewhere

Might depend on where you are, down south I am

Not sure how it’s in Taiwan, but back home if there’s more than one car in the picture then they cannot give the ticket, since you cannot judge which car was speeding.
I was always curious how it’s in Taiwan with multiple lanes on the highway and constant traffic, so 90% of the time, unless you’re driving in the middle of the night, it’s easy to catch at least two cars in the picture, thus making the cameras more of a scarecrow than actual enforcement.

During my first months in Taiwan, when I haven’t fully realized how many cameras are there, I was casually driving with more European speeds (especially on highways) and I never got any ticket, and I’m sure I’ve passed those speed cameras going at least 130+ multiple times.

1 Like

While driving northwards through Route 61 early o
the morning, there were plenty of trailers going at 120+.

I think the cameras are designed for midnight driving, because when there’s traffic it’s impossible to speed anyways. Lots of people will drive extremely fast in the middle of the night which makes it more dangerous especially when alcohol is involved.

1 Like

The “highway speed” is not a blanket 100, there are different speed limits in place in different sections, the majority is 110.

Also I’ve read that the camera won’t even fire if there are multiple vehicles in the frame as it gets a multi reflection error so it saves itself a worthless click.

1 Like

There are also cutouts of cartoon policemen holding cameras, tres scarecrow

1 Like

I thought the limit on highways was 90 for cars and 80 for trucks over 20 tons (I don’t read Chinese, just guessing based on the two signs).

Sometimes the limit of 30 in some places in the city is frustrating.

I know in Wales a few years ago they where looking to make it speed limit +1 and you got a ticket, as at the time it was 10%+2. The argument was the limit is the maximum speed you should be traveling in perfect driving conditions.
To put this in context Wales has a lot of bendy country roads with 60mph limits, slow moving tractors and blind bends, also lots of motorcyclist and want to be rally drivers like to visit at weekends.

Many, probably most, camera signs on highways / freeways are for off ramps. The camera is usually at the bottom or top of the offramp catching speeders after they exit.

Next time, look and see if a sign is a few hundred yards before an off ramp.

“When they made the rule…” there was a blanket speed for the highways.