Driving Test in Taiwan in English

And it seems back in 2014 people from the UK were able to exchange their license without surrendering the original. No doubt things changed for whatever reason and now they’ve changed back.

1 Like

In case for the UK, it does (at least according to the regulations):

https://www.thb.gov.tw/sites/ch/modules/download/download_list?node=831dcd37-7259-47c3-9211-ffbf8dee35bc&c=89275811-dcff-4d14-877e-981db78a5b18

Also see that thread:

I took the car test, the light motorcycle (up to 250cc) then the heavy motorcycle (over 250cc) in that order. The only computer test I took was with the car, thats why I was advised to do them in that order. I did the light motorcycle about a week after the car test, but things could have changed so its always better to ask the DMV or test centre directly.

2 Likes

Okay so here is the update. Went to the test like 3 times - failed spectacularly in the first hurdle itself (Reverse Parking). Gave up and kept driving with just my learner’s license. Moved to Hualien and turns out the driving school is a bit cheaper here in Shoufeng. Signed up for the driving course - 4 weeks with 2 classes per week. They really taught me how to clear the test very easily. Passed the test which happened in the driving school test area itself and everyone passed (about 50 students). Its very chilled out in the driving school - they aren’t so strict like in the actual test center. The driving course cost is 10K NTD.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to the English version of the book? It’s pretty difficult to learn how the roads work here by just looking at mock questions. I want actual explanations on the differences between different kinds of roads such as 高速公路/快速公路 etc.

It really sucks because the schools here just teach you how to actually operate the vehicle and pass the test, so the 90 degree reverse parking, parallel parking and S curve, but they don’t tell you anything about the rules of the road.

Freeways, the ones with the number in the flower (國1,國2,等)。only cars can access (and trucks/bus), no motorcycles, even red/yellow plates are forbidden. These r toll roads

Expressways, the number is inside a red shield. Here big bikes can access (red/yellow plates) with a few exceptions clearly marked at each entrance.

The ones with the numbers inside the blue shield are mostly “provincial” highways, the ones with the number inside green shield are local roads maintained by the local authorities (counties, cities and special municipalities),indeed often u can see the character indicating the local authority at the beginning (like 桃1,北1,等)。

1 Like

Of the book itself? No, I don’t.

And it doesn’t have explanations, just questions.

TBH, even after passing the test and driving around, I have questions…

2 Likes

Anyone know if this apply for marriage ARC as well? I’m confused about this rule.

If your ARC has a validity of over 6 months, you are eligible to take the driving test. There are no restrictions based on the type of ARC you have

• Identity documents:
    (1) At least 18 years old and hold one of the following documents:
    (2) Nationals: National I.D. card or another valid driving license.
    (3) Foreigners, people from Mainland China or nationals without household registration in the Taiwan area must submit proof of staying permit or alien residence permit for more than 6 months.
    (4) Residences in Hong Kong or Macau should submit the proof of alien residence permit for more than 6 months or entry/exit permit with a validity more than 6 months.

source: Taipei Motor Vehicles Office-Instruction for Motorcycle Driving License Test

1 Like

Anyone know where to study for the test in English? Or even in Chinese? There only thing I found are the questions and answers. Is that’s how they learn the theory in Taiwan?

I never found anything more than that in English. Just do the online mock exam over and over again until you have most the answers memorized. To be honest, most are so common sense that you don’t even need to remember.

2 Likes

Yep, just go over the questions and answers. Most answers are obvious. It’s things like what some signs mean, some hand signals for police directing traffic standing on the road, and some misc things like distances from a curb when parking or between cars on the roads, etc.

This too! Just keep running thru it. You’ll see the patterns and recognize the ones that give you trouble. Then hit the Q+A for those in particular.

1 Like

I also made notes of the correct answers forbthe not obvious questions, like what fine for which infraction, so when that question came up again I wasn’t guessing every time

1 Like