Driving Tour during Chinese New Year?

I was thinking of taking a driving tour of Taiwan during Chinese New Year. The only idea I have thus far is to visit to Taroko Gorge. I am horrible at planning vacations… Any suggestions for locations to visit?

Travel late at night. You’ll thank me later.

23 million Taiwanese will be driving around TAiwan during CNY. AVoid !

Doable. The trick is to go south when everyone else is coming back north.

People go south en masse on the 2nd day of the lunar calendar. That’s the traditional day for 回娘家 (“Going back to mom’s house”). Avoid driving south on that day. People will then drive back north over the following couple of days. That’s the time to go south.

Go to Taroko and then go down hwy 9. Dayhike the Walami trail and you should be able to camp at Luoshan campground (if you’re camping).

Does anyone know if remote tourist attractions (hiking) are busy during Chinese New Year? I think the answer is no since everyone is with their family but I haven’t traveled during CNY before. The hardest part will be finding a place to stay in addition to the traffic.

Highway 11 below Hualian is also a beautiful drive. The road across from Taroko to west side of the island is another good one; get to see Snow Mountain which, at that time of year, actually usually does have some snow!