🚗 💳 Driving | Use Visa Card to Purchase Fuel at Self-Serve Gas Station?

My wife and I will be traveling to Taiwan in November and will rent a car, if we need fuel at a self serve fueling place, do they honor United States bank Visa card for payment?

1 Like

Yep. Make sure your bank knows you are travelling.

2 Likes

Just make sure to always carry cash. Your full tank of gas will not be more than 1000 NTD.

And self-service is only slowly coming, in most cases you are still assisted. New Jersey style.

1 Like

Most likely yes, but bring some cash just in case. Some international cards won’t work depending on the gas station brand. Heck, even I can’t use my Taiwan HSBC visa at some places.

4 Likes

Yes, foreign credit cards work.

Self-pump isn’t really a thing in taiwan. They all have full service and do everything for you but you can try self-serve some places do have it.

Don’t worry about shopping around for better prices because they’re all close to the same price.

Always have cash back up anytime for anything.

Gas stations nearly always have restrooms and clean although they might be squatters.

Gas stations are not typically convenience stores. So those will be nearby.

And gas stations are easy to locate on Google maps. They’re not as plentiful as other countries where there’s one on nearly every other corner so using Google Maps will be helpful.

They might ask you some questions like do you have a company number or would you like free water or tissue. So just kind of look dumb if they ask for a number and point at the water or tissue whichever one you want.

Most highway rest areas have gas stations but not all exits so keep that in mind.

4 Likes

LOL Mine is around NT$2000 a tank and that’s diesel.

2 Likes

With mine ~1300 of 95 octanes.

2 Likes

As they say, YMMV. :slight_smile:

1 Like