Driving with a European Drivers License

Hey guys!

I’ll soon travel to Taiwan for 2-3 weeks and I was wondering if I could drive there with my Spanish Drivers License. I only red that international drivers license is required for foreigners who are staying less than 30 days but I haven’t heard about using a local issued one…

I can’t get an international one (that would be the safest).

Thanks!

Why can’t you get an International Driving Permit? This (often referred to as an International Driving Licence, which AFAIK doesn’t exist) accompanies your national DL, so you are still actually driving on that.

You can’t drive legally with a EU licence. You need an International Driving Permit or a local licence. Also, you won’t be able to rent a car, at least from respectable agencies. Even if you manage to do that, if something happens you won’t be covered by any insurance and will be held liable for damages.

May I ask why you cannot get a International licence?

IDP’s take 10 minutes. If you are out of the country get family to apply.

I would get the International if I could but I can’t because I am not in Spain.

I’ll see if I can get one of my family members to apply for it on my behalf as there’s no way to do it remotely.

Thank you!

Okay, so I got my brother to do it after sending him my drivers license…

Where do I have to go to get the “approval” from the DMV?

Thanks!

PS. So according to this video: youtube.com/watch?v=-0hnQs-UxtM I am only required to have it endorsed IF I am going to stay longer than 30 days, which is not my case.

For the first 30 days, you do not need to get it endorsed. I got mine endorsed a couple years ago and lucky for me, they forgot to put a date on my endorsement. It’s only supposed to be good for as long as that particular IDP. I just renew my IDP every year and use the same endorsement docuement. This allows me to use my motorcycle endorsement and not need to hold a small displacement moto license for a year before getting a heavy license.

For the endorsement, just go to the DMV of whichever city you are in.

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”]For the first 30 days, you do not need to get it endorsed. I got mine endorsed a couple years ago and lucky for me, they forgot to put a date on my endorsement. It’s only supposed to be good for as long as that particular IDP. I just renew my IDP every year and use the same endorsement docuement. This allows me to use my motorcycle endorsement and not need to hold a small displacement moto license for a year before getting a heavy license.

For the endorsement, just go to the DMV of whichever city you are in.[/quote]

Thanks!

That’s great since I’ll be there for 20 days.