Dropped Cell Phone

Just a word of advice to any of you who might be as mentally challenged as I am. Okay, I had enjoyed a few beers and had a new lovely on my arm, which is tantamount to being at least temporarily mentally challenged.

I dropped my cell phone in a taxi. Didn’t write down the taxi number (see aforementioned reason). Borrowed a phone and called mine three times. It was set on ring. Nobody answered. Called again ten minutes later and it was turned off. Called Taiwan Da Ge Da’s 24 hour customer service center (Yes, it really does exist!) and shut the phone down. They told me I could use the same number, but my SIM card, with all of my numbers in it, is gone. They’ve mailed me some sort of document which I’m supposed to take to a Taiwan Da Ge Da office and exchange for my new SIM card.

Does this sound right to you guys, or is there nobody as idiotic as I am?

T.

Exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. Sounds like S.O.P. to me…

Me, too, minus the lovely and the beer.

Their office is way out on Chung Hsiao E. Rd, around section 6 I think.

I dreamt last night that I dropped my cell phone into a swimming pool. Could be the lumpy pillow, or perhaps there’s a hidden meaning.:shock:

Anyway, I left my cell at Cafe Odeon II a few months ago, and when I went back, the staff said, “oh, no…” Yeah right. :x
Went to Taiwan Da Ge Da next morning in Neihu and they hooked me up straight away w new SIM. Just go to their offices. Another one is on Ba Deh.

They did me one better–sent me a new card with my old number. Bought a new phone last night. They handled it very well. Now, I’ll wait and see what they charged me for it.

From what I hear there is a code with every phone that the service provider can send out to that “stolen” phone and render the Sim and the phone useless. I used to know how to do it with my first Motorolla but I lost the code in my last com. crash. Anyone Know?

You can block the subscriber number (the SIM card) in the network. Actually it’s not your phone number but each SIM has a unique identification which includes country code, network code etc. (IMSI = International Mobile Subscriber Identity).
Technically the network can also block equipment (using the IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Idendity), but if you use the same phone in another network it will most likely work since there is no data exchange in this regards between networks.
The plan was to setup a centralized database in Dublin (Ireland) and link all networks worldwide to it, but it never materialized.

That said all the settings must be done by the operator, not the user (subscriber).
I think the code you refer to is the PUK to unlock your phone which is required if you enter your PIN three times wrong.

I remember someone telling me a simple code to enter into the phone to access this code. I can’t for the life of me remember what it was.

Like most idiots, I threw away the PUK code for my phone. Stupid!

ON the subject of phones.
I have a Motorolla V66, the phones here in Taiwan has voice dial disabled. Is this something that hasn’t been installed in the phone or something that hasn’t been activated yet - I don’t know, but if there is a code to activate it I want it - I tried contacting Motorolla but it seems that the bigger you get the more your service sucks

You can see the serial number (IMEI) on most phones by pressing *#06#
This code is a kind of standarized but in the end it depends on the manufacturer if he actually enabled it.
The IMEI is the same number which should be on the label below your battery or somewhere around there …

For Nokia phones also try *#0000#, *#9999# or *#DATE# (that’s 3283) to see the SW version. Depends on the model and SW version.