Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Arent we all! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why is this standard for beer 12oz? That’s not even a pint!

1 Like

So how many are still not drinking? I havent touched alcohol since 31.12. and since its just nine more days I will try to last till the end (probably :thinking:)

4 Likes

I’m dry.

Last drink on Christmas Eve. So far, just maybe a bit deeper sleep.

2 Likes

Yeah, those new Canadian health guidelines - recommending at most two drinks a week - have got my attention.

I currently have no intention of entirely going dry - I simply like a good beer or cocktail or whisky too much - but it’s amusing (and could be seen as alarming) how quickly habits change or are formed. Through the whole semester my mostly-followed rule was “a drink is allowed if I’m not teaching tomorrow”, which meant 2-3 drinks per week. Then the semester ended, and I’m never teaching the next day, and suddenly oops that “constraint” meant I was having a drink pretty much every night. As of a few days ago, back on my alternate “drink allowed if I didn’t have a drink yesterday” rule.

I really, really wish I liked herbal tea (ok, infusions) more. Having a drink (whether alcohol or not) beside me when reading or watching TV at night is just part of my ritual. Coffee, no way, not at night. Tea, eh, I’m still trying to figure out if there’s enough caffeine to affect my sleep. Herbal tea quickly gets dull. Most carbonated beverages, also horribly unhealthy, although I could probably be persuaded with ginger beer if it weren’t more expensive than real beer here - but I suspect the sugar in that causes more trouble with my sleep than caffeine does. There’s water, of course, but that also gets dull.

Link for the Canadian health site with the infographic above:

2 Likes

How about ginger tea? It has some kick, easy to make (boil ginger root in hot water), and you can try variations for taste and variety (lemon, mint, honey, cinnamon, anise, etc)

And it is good for you. I sometimes put slices in chai

3 Likes

Thanks, I should try that. We’ve always got bags of instant brown sugar-ginger tea around, but I find that just ok (fantastic help with cold symptoms, however).

Like a lot of things, from scratch is better. Can’t really get easier than slices of ginger in pot of water, and then you add your brown sugar (honey I think is a better choice) or whatever. Make it the way you like it

I’ve tried chai bags a handful of times, they’re always terrible. Even the Indian restaurants I’ve been to here don’t make it as good as mine :yum:

2 Likes

a classic in the making.

2 Likes

I drank once, 8 days ago. I was hungover the next day, which was inconvenient.

What I have learnt this month is that I don’t really need alcohol around in any situation. I’m happy enough and confident enough to enjoy my life without it. I’ve also really done loads more this month through not drinking. Drinking takes time out of my life that I could spend doing other things.
I don’t need to read books or scare myself or exercise will power. It’s just become obvious this month that drinking isn’t a useful thing to do.

9 Likes

this thread will be studied by anthropologists In the year 2340 as to how the foreigners lived on the island of Taiwan before the great wars with china.

I’m pretty sure the two top posters on the thread are not on the rock :melting_face:

1 Like

I dunno … I think I’d really need alcohol if I wanted to enjoy being around a bunch of drunk people. Of course, in many situations leaving is also an option (as is avoiding the situation in the first place).

1 Like

I agree. I guess it could be different if you get used to not drinking though.

1 Like

I find it is also helpful if I’m with a group of not-drunk-but-boring people

2 Likes

I need all of the above, even though I’m sure I’ll make it to day 31. Drinking has become a part of who I am over the years so I need reminders of how detrimental to my physical and mental health alcohol is. Also, I am slightly entertaining thoughts of making this more long term.

This type of thing is helping me now:

5 Likes

Well I got proper pissed last night and it was great.
Think I made some new friends but can’t remember Jack shit so maybe not?
Zero to moderate drinking starts today.
20 days of no drinking and the hangover I got from a few drinks has shown me the damage I’m doing to my self.
I wasn’t a happy man for 20 days but I’m a miserable cunt anyhow.

PS: you don’t want to see the devastation in the kitchen from my attempt making a 3am supper.

4 Likes

I recommend zero if you’re going to do this. Moderate drinking never worked for me. I would be right back to my normal amount in a matter of days.

2 Likes