Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Top geezer! I hope that’s my story too. Sans booze.

They do a 0.0 Guinness now

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried, not too bad. I’m not a 0.0 drinker in Taiwan, I did when driving in U.K. pint after work, gutted if lost me licence on a half mile drive home.

1 Like

Ok, so it’s February 7 and I’m still alive and don’t feel I need a beer. However I really don’t know what to drink along with “special” meals. Sparkling water?

0.0% beer was a bit of a transitioning joke, don’t really want to substitute one thing with its fake version.

4 Likes

Don’t be tempted by the 7/11 soft drink selection, possibly more harming than beer, have a hyperactive sugar rush.
I personally like Pellegrino, carbonated water with a flavour.

2 Likes

Most of them still have alcohol, like 0,1%-0.4%

Today I was looking again at the shelves for minutes, only to leave empty handed. Better that way TBH.

2 Likes

back in saudi arabia i used to drink 3 or 4 of them quickly and tell myself i was getting a buzz. then i met a guy who made beer at home

2 Likes

You can have fun finding out. Soda water and lime is one I like. Lemonade and blackcurrant is also decent.

Your food will start tasting better soon, so no real need to add a glass of diluted ethanol into the mix.

1 Like

Will experiment. Thanks!

The Family Mart house brand of carbonated water with lemon (and no sugar!) is quite nice. If you have one in your neighbourhood, give it a try.

Guy

2 Likes

It would be awesome if I didn’t have have to spend money on drinks and instead I could prepare something at home (yes, you also need to spend money on the ingredients). Some people use these machines for preparing soda water but it’s almost the same cost as buying the finished product. Last year I started to make my own oat milk and it was quite OK at least for me, yeah, it thickens up but whatever, more dietary fiber for great poo. Might get back to brew mead at some point too… but that has alcohol.

OLd habits.

In my dry phases I’ve mostly lost interest in eating out in nicer western[ish] places, and completely lost interest in pub food. The meals seemed less worthwhile without the drinks, and pubs without a beer … ugh. That aspect may have saved more money (and almost certainly “saved” more calories!) than cutting alcohol itself did.

Taiwan at least is good for a wide variety of teas after the meal. Something in my head however can’t get used to tea before the meal. For me I’d usually wanted iced water - which alas is sometimes hard to get here!

Buy a Sodastream.

1 Like

Just to make it clear, I wasn’t thinking of buying a beer. I was looking at other drinks, but all is sugary crap.

EDIT: and other overly expensive shit.

I walked by the beer cooler the other day. Meh. I don’t drink.

New habit.

3 Likes

Sparkling water virgin cocktails. You don’t need to buy fancy equipment

A bottle of sparkling water and a fresh lime. Boom. Can add ginger, mint, and honey

Cranberry juice or other juices that are too sweet, or berry concentrate (that will probably need sweetness added)

Just start with you sparkling water base, and get creative. Google for ideas

I sometimes have a Frankenbevereage in the fridge. Made a pot of tea but didnt finish? Throw it in the pitcher. Freeze dried blueberries for pancakes soaked in water, what to do with the water? In the pitcher. Getting bitter? Add some honey. Today I had leftover squeezed lime juice from cooking… You guessed it. I have 2 more limes, they’ll end up in there if I don’t use them for something else.

1 Like

One of the things I drink the most is tea. Tea goes well with honey, so ginger does. Mental note: need to prepare more lime/ginger/honey drinks.

3 Likes

This is a country of tea. switch one narcotic for a slightly healthier one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think more than slightly.