Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Want a few Red Rose bags too? It’s a taste of Canada.

Orange Fanta is my new vice.

I only drink soda when I’m hung over, or when McDonald’s doesn’t have sparkling water

I’ve got lipton tea bags as well, not a huge difference

Mine too — when I was eleven.

That is the goal, I think, for many people. fill it in with other shit. I feel drinking for alcoholics is more of a distraction, or temporary stimulant boost. great for random/spread out occassions, bad when its a lifestyle escape and/or “needed” stimulation.

I did also tend to be like you mention. if a doctor fucks up their job and I am super annoyed, that night becomes a social drinking.night. temporary release from the reality the body is permanently damaged due to malpractice so now I feel for my own mental health I work really hard to prevent getting screwed and the "need"to relax is relived. Which by proxy means drink less cause ethanol for me is a happy distraction, but toxic. easier to avoid those super frustrating circumstances in my mind. On the same note, I also try hard to avoid doing sales work, cause dealing with those clowns is absurdly frustrating.

2 pronged approach. everyone has their thing. but certainly your point of providing other distractions is ideal. be it exercise, reading books, working more or whatever works for that person. stimulation seems key. and making it a healthy one seems longevic

2 Likes

I never get hangovers. I’m an alcoholic, so I feel ill if I DON’T drink.
Unfortunately, doctors in Taiwan don’t give you help and solutions. They just say “don’t drink!”, which is fucking absurd. It’s like telling a smack addict “Heroin is bad for you. Stop taking it!”

1 Like

That is a worry, for sure. but it is a choice as well :slight_smile:

That’s quite sad. What quack doctor convinced you of that?

Jd I feel sick if I don’t drink. Full-stop.

Well, we’re here if you need us. I know I’d see a doctor if I’d backed myself into a corner like that. Or a shrink for some talk therapy.

Do not go gentle—

2 Likes

Sixty years ago? Wow.

I seems like that long ago sometimes. Interestingly enough, eleven was when I started drinking nightly screwdrivers after school at my friend’s house.

The only screwdrivers I’m interested in are insulated ones.

1 Like

O_o

Gen X, yo. We didn’t wait to fuck around.

1 Like

1 Like

Here are lists of medical alcohol treatment programs in Taipei City and New Taipei. They are in Chinese but should be useable via Google Translate.

For example, Taipei Chang Gung Memorial Hospital has Dr. Shih-Ku Lin (林式穀) who specializes in addiction medicine including alcohol. You can make an appointment by calling 02-2717-3466掛精神科 (psychiatry). For a consultation call 03-328-1200 # 5102.

2 Likes

My favourite are magnetic.

1 Like

I was similar. I remember at Christmas I would sneak slugs of all the different types of booze in the back room. My mother drank heavily (Scotch and milk) throughout my childhood. My dad worked in an off license. He enabled her drinking by being her supplier. Alcohol was always in the house and nobody was watching us, cos my mum (who was a teacher) was always pissed and my dad worked till ten pm. I raised my younger sister myself. I saw alcohol as the thing you drank when you wanted to ‘escape.’ My birth has also always been cited as the cause of my mothers alcohol and mental health problems. Thanks!
So I pretty much became a parent to my sister, had other peoples problems blamed on me just breathing, and was modelled alcohol as a coping mechanism.
It’s little wonder I grew into a childless teacher with alcohol problems. I became my mother. Young little Superking didn’t stand much of a chance.

49 year old Superking has seen his mother start drinking again, after she quit for about thirty years, to cope with her sister getting dementia. It is happening again. My mother is turning into a drunk. My dad is enabling her. My sister moved 200 miles away to raise a family. And they are all looking to me to be the grown up.

Well, I aint going out like that. I quit teaching almost two years ago. My parents behaviour is their business. And I ain’t drinking a drop to numb myself through it.

That was cathartic.

8 Likes

I will not drink alcohol today.

5 Likes