Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Yeah, ditto - Pollan’s part about that made me feel lucky. The times I’ve quit caffeine, I think I had mild headaches for a few days, but that was about it. The harder part was actually the “habit”: there was this odd hole in the morning where a hot caffeinated beverage had normally gone. Plus getting seriously bored of water, and quite likely far too many calories from hot chocolate.

Oh I wish that were one of my problems!

2 Likes

Supderduperking is quite fit. Mental, but quite fit. :wink:

1 Like

:ok_hand:

1 Like

Why thank you :pray:

Almost cracked the first weekend. I am experiencing increased joy, and a monster appetite for any food. Fat, sober and happy.

How’s everyone else in the DJ gang getting on?

2 Likes

I don’t usually drink it after 3pm

Also, I prefer dark roast which I understand has less caffeine

If you’re having trouble sleeping, have you tried exercise? Go for an evening swim, for example

I have been doing a lot of sweating just sitting on the sofa. There’s been a lot of toxin dumping going on

1 Like

Same for me.

Yes, I exercise regularly, but I could probably up the dose.

I had a cup of chai with the wife last night (shared) during a movie. I went to sleep sometime after 6. sun rising :flushed:

Much prefer alcohol over caffeine, dear lord! switching to milk now.

What are you sweating out? You think stored toxins?

1 Like

I’d need a lot of time for naps

1 Like

And psychotic breakdowns from what I read.

1 Like

Should we reach out to her publicist?

1 Like

Maybe it’s a Brit thing ‘beer sweat’ I get after drinking, mostly on a Monday, horrible sweaty arse is worse part. Sweat in bed at night also, real cold Turkey for 2 days.
I have got sugar cravings, going with it, shall cut that out tomorrow, no point kicking one addiction but gaining another!
Sleep not improving, not to much of a problem tho.

1 Like

Either that or dodgy memories.

I would have no problem going without caffeine. Cheeseburgers… different story.

2 Likes

one day at a time cutie

2 Likes

Little off subject:
Local pub in U.K. is moaning on IG about dry January, saying not fair on their business and lots of non alcoholic drinks available.
Busy local pub normally, must be plenty of people doing it.
I know as most expensive pub in the village, I wouldn’t go out and pay high price for non alcohol beer, whole point of drinking beer is the alcohol in my mind.

Spot on. Drink to get drunk. I’m not the person who savours the taste of a pint. Buy it, chuck it down yer gullet, buy more, pass out.
I’m not drinking alcohol free versions of drinks, what’s the point? I can see nothing worse than drinking a 0% Guinness. It’s like vegetarians who eat fake bacon. Poor sods, torturing themselves.

For me Dry Jan is about looking at my relationship with alcohol. From what I’ve written above, I needed to do this!

Awake at 3am with a headache and dodgy guts. Cleanse related? Maybe. Also fell asleep with the central heating on. Six hours :see_no_evil: I’ll need to take out a second mortgage for that mistake.

2 Likes

And you still drink it? That’s a shame. This isn’t the place for me to write an ode to the pint, but it would be easier to give it up if the only thing I liked was the alcohol

1 Like

I imagine I do lots of things that I don’t really enjoy. Habits form for the oddest of reasons.

Missing the beer isn’t a problem for me. Not at all. Removing my imaginary coping/reward mechanism is the hill I am currently climbing. When I crave a drink at the moment it’s relief from internal thoughts that I’m looking for. As you say, maybe that’s easier than trying to give up something I actually like.

2 Likes

I think he means nursing a pint ‘ knobheads’ who drink it slowly boring any prat that would listen about it hoppiness and the mature flavour, how he love brewery that made if so much followed by brewers history.
I know what I like and what I don’t and do try new beers, guest ones in U.K. pubs and I see a different one in 7/11 or supermarket. Simple mart seem to have best turnover of different beers but not one close to me now.
Alcohol improves the joviality of beer consumers, whole idea of it Im my opinion.
Beer bores keep away from me :no_entry: