DSL Connectivity in Taiwan

my hinet connection was a little clunky yesterday, but usually it is very fast (at least fast enought to keep me happy). maybe everybody is staying home and surfing becuase the weather is so crappy?

It has been a problem for some time and it has steadily got worse. Everything is slow on that bloody pathetic excuse for an adsl connection.

With DSL your suppose to be guaranteed a certain speed. That’s why there are price differences between the 256k and 1.5MB. Now everyone can’t get 1.5MB, depending how far they’re from a CO (central office). Sometimes the company (hi-net or whoever) will try to sell you speeds that your out of range of.

The point of all that ranting is, if you’re not getting the speed you should complain, complain and complain some more. They should either upgrade you for free or fix the problem. I don’t know what’s going on here, but back home there were different DSL’s (ADSL and SDSL maybe more). One had a longer range than the other but costs more. Getting the upgraded service would fix it.

The other thing they can do is test line lines for noise. Since your signal is just running on old telephone lines you have no idea what your email is going through to get to your computer. Every time it rains your connection might go away.

With DSL you should be getting exactly what you pay for. Run a few speeds test from various locations to see if it’s your connection or the sites your going to. I don’t know what happens when going to sites over seas, but I’m sure it must slow down.

Let me remind you again to complain more and yell as much as possible. I worked for a DSL company back home and I guarantee you that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

My ADSL usualy works fine (though I’m not quite sure I get completely what I pay for). However, yesterday was a particularly bad day. I was on Segue some time shortly after noon when the connection slowed down to a speed where it would take a couple of minutes to open a Segue page. I was on the internet again some time at night when all of a sudden, connection speed took up again to normal speed.

Is it better today, Mr. He? For me, everything seems to be back to normal.

HTH
Iris

you can try using Hinet proxy server to speed up the access:

server: proxy.hinet.net
port: 80

some of you are living in buildings that are just too far from the nearest CHT CO (Central Office), so the quality couldn’t be as good as you expected, but those living in new and high buildings should have no complaints because the quality are much better

you can try to check if in your building besides CHT, there’re other carrier that can offer you service like TFN, Sparq or EBT and ask for 1 month free trial, if you think the quality is good enough to convince you then you can switch to the new carrier/ISP :sunglasses:

cheers,

Thanks. I think that the problem is that we live too faar away, as we live in a gated community on the top of a mountain.

This is my first post from home :smiley:

I wanted to give everyone a better site to do a speed test from so we can all compare notes to see if and where there’s a problem. Bandwithplace’s servers are all in the US so it makes things seem slow.

[CLICK HERE] then click “Yourspeed” in the uper right hand corner of the window.

I got 336kbps (very fast) with the Taiwan test

and

111kbps (still pretty fast) when testing the US

I have the Hinet 1.5/384 service and ran a 30sec test.

I tried the test (using sparq)
192 kbps in Taiwan
120 kbps USA

[quote=“miltownkid”]This is my first post from home :smiley:

I wanted to give everyone a better site to do a speed test from so we can all compare notes to see if and where there’s a problem. Bandwithplace’s servers are all in the US so it makes things seem slow.

[CLICK HERE] then click “Yourspeed” in the uper right hand corner of the window.

I got 336kbps (very fast) with the Taiwan test

and

111kbps (still pretty fast) when testing the US

I have the Hinet 1.5/384 service and ran a 30sec test.[/quote]

212 USA
358 Taiwan

Chunghwa 1.5/64 60sec test

I got 152 kbps on 30 sec test for world sites
and 448 kbps for Taiwan.

with Chunghwa 1.5/384

it’s a sunday evening here.

Kenneth

What can you test us about “Sparq?” How are the speeds? Where is it available? Outside of Taibei? How much is it per month?

I will be moving to Zhongli mid-July and am wondering what ISP as well as connection I should get. Anyone living in Zhongli that has some suggestions? So far I am thinking HiNet unless Sparq has something out in Taoyuan county. Thanks for the past posts on this subject. Definitely help me avoid some of the Giga headaches.

Kong

209kbps Taiwan
111kbps USA

Atrocious for what is supposed to be a T1 line. Plus ca change.

From dslreports:

2003-06-04 06:45:20 EST: 592 / 52
Your download speed : 592192 bps, or 592 kbps.
A 72.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 52896 bps, or 52 kbps.
Your upstream result was very slow! … not good

From bandwidthplace.com:

984kbps

[quote=“chichodude”]you can try using Hinet proxy server to speed up the access:

server: proxy.hinet.net
port: 80

some of you are living in buildings that are just too far from the nearest CHT CO (Central Office), so the quality couldn’t be as good as you expected, but those living in new and high buildings should have no complaints because the quality are much better

you can try to check if in your building besides CHT, there’re other carrier that can offer you service like TFN, Sparq or EBT and ask for 1 month free trial, if you think the quality is good enough to convince you then you can switch to the new carrier/ISP :sunglasses: [/quote]

I don’t get it. ALL the ISP providers use CHT hardware. It’s CHT right until your desktop, where CHT insists on “installing” its ugly ADSL modems. The only hardware Sparq, So-Net and Eastern Broadband has is devoted to calculating and printing your bills.
“You gets whats your given,” as Popeye used to say. And as for living in a gated community atop a mountain, oh spare us please! :unamused:

As I said: if you live in new and high buildings, you could have multiple choice for which Carrier (not only CHT) you want for your ADSL service

Different generation (every year) gets different ADSL modem, like Zyxel, SpeedTouch and who know which brand on next year, as CHT is currently bidding for 1M more ADSL lines and the whole package include all the gears + the modems :sunglasses:

Cheers,

I live in a “mountain-top tower in a gated community”. Actually, it is cheaper to have this 47 ping, Yangmingshang-type view of Taipei that it is for me to live down in a some dark, dank, mildewy cubby hole in central Taipei. Tawianese would rather pay three times the rent that I pay to live above a 7-11. Why? Because it takes me a lovely bike ride of ten minutes to get to the nearest MRT station, and anything else for that matter. Taiwanese like to live in the middle of ultra-convenience. If they could install a 7-11 kiosk in their living rooms they would.

As for my ADSL connection, I am far enough away from the nearest tel-co no to get the actual capacity benefit from 512 ADSL. But I have HiNet 512 ADSL. I wouldn’t say it is very fast. Browsing at the free 802.11b hotspot at NYNY is faster by far.