Dual citizenship for a Filipino

I am a Filipino born in the Philippines and my father already is a Taiwan citizen back year 1990, and i only got my Taiwan passport this 2015 using the residence id of my father. I applied my Taiwan passport in TECO Philippines. I am now a dual citizen. I am here now in Taiwan for almost less than 2 years using my Taiwan passport and wondering if i can apply or get a residence id just like my father. My father passed away last 2002.Is there any possibility that i can get a residence id. what is the easiest way to become a citizen .do i need to give up my other citizen just to get a residence id? Please help me with an answer…

[quote=“azizfrost, post:1, topic:67794, full:true”]
Im a filipino born in the philippines and my father is a taiwan citizen…im already 21 yrs old and I only have philippine passport…

can i apply for a citizenship without joining the military?

and what is the easiest way to become a citizen? do i need to invest money in taiwan?

thanks in advance…[/quote]

I don’t really understand your question. If you have ‘dual citizenship’, then you are already a citizen. There’s nothing else you need to do, except possibly register with the household registration office. If you’re not a citizen, but your father is, then there a simple procedure to follow.

Your best bet is to simply go to the immigration office and ask them. This isn’t the Philippines: government officials are (usually) keen to be helpful, and there are no stacks of pointless paperwork and bribes to deal with.

However, if you are of age, then you will need to do your military service. Again, this is nothing to worry about. I’m told it’s somewhat boring, but it’s over in 14 months. No big deal.

what i mean is that i have both Filipino and Taiwan passport. Is it counted as dual citizen having both passport. I don’t have residence id yet. Can i get one. How can i register in the household registration office, i don’t have the copy of my father’s household and he passed away already .

It’s hard to tell from your description exactly what your situation is, but if you have two passports, the implication is that you are a Taiwanese citizen who has somehow acquired a Philippines passport. As far as I know the converse scenario isn’t possible.

Does your passport have an ID card number on it? How are you staying in the country without a ID?

Anyway, assuming you’re here legally, just go to the household registry office and ask them. They’ll have a printed list of requirements and you just come back when you’ve got the requisite documents. If you don’t have something, just tell them and they’ll explain the workaround.

Really, this isn’t the Philippines. The procedures make sense, they are usually quite straightforward, and the officials won’t make up random requirements that aren’t on the list.

You will probably have to give up your Filipino citizenship at some point.

Don’t think he has to give up his Phil citizenship because his FATHER is Taiwanese. If it was his MOM who was Taiwanese there are restrictions. NONE if his Father is Taiwanese.

Situation may be a little different if his Father was a naturalized Taiwanese though.

Not sure how that works out.

Taiwan’s human rights still is somewhat Soviet.

(ie Assbackwards)

DAD and MOM who are Taiwanese should be EQUAL under the law, like the USA. And there should be NO restrictions on when or where the kids were born.

A child born of ONE Taiwanese parent, be it the Dad or the Mom should be able to get Taiwanese citizenship regardless of where or when they were born. PERIOD>

1 Like

Sounds to me like the situation is that you are a Taiwanese National Without Household Registration (NWHOR), meaning that you are a national of the Republic of China, an Overseas Chinese, and thus eligible for a ROC (Republic of China ie Taiwan) passport. But you are not a citizen. Being a citizen implies working rights and right of abode.

It’s easy to determine what you are. Look in your passport. Does it have an ID number in it that is similar to your father’s ID card’s number? If so, you are already eligible for an ID card and can simply apply for one like everybody else. I doubt this is the case though because if it was you would have already been called up to serve in the military.
If you don’t have an ID number in your ROC passport (note that this is a different number to the Passport No.), that means you are a NWHOR.

Have you been in Taiwan continuously for these past two years? Or for at least 270 days a year in the two years that you’ve been here? You should be able to obtain household registration. You won’t need to give up your Filipino citizenship as that is something people have to do to naturalize as Taiwanese nationals. You are a national by birth by virtue of having a Taiwanese father.

How are you staying on here? Are you here on your ROC passport? Do you have a residence permit and if so what type? Or did you enter on your Philippines passport? If you are in Taiwan on your Philippines passport unfortunately your period of residence does not count towards the requirement to get a Taiwanese ID card, you will need to come back on your ROC passport.

Have a read of this very useful wikipedia article:

And go to your nearest household registration office to get a full list of the requirements and procedures.
You will need to serve in the military if you obtain household registration, there is no way around that other than waiting until you are older than the maximum drafting age (36 on 31 of December). Sounds like you don’t want to wait that long so do your time in the military, it’s worth it.

1 Like

This is how it is for old people like you and me, Tommy. They changed the law in 2000 (and grandfathered in kids who were born in 1980 or younger because in the year 2000 they were still considered dependents). Now, they will recognize the father’s or the mother’s nationality for mixed-blood kids.

Being born in 1976, I’m in the same boat as you. Missed the cut by 4 years. Was born here, Taiwanese mother (with dual USA/TW citizenship), and I’m a foreigner on an APRC.

i’m a natural born Filipino, i only got my Taiwan passport last may 12,2015 in TECO, Philippines, using my father’s Taiwan Passport and his身分證, then TECO granted me a taiwan passport, i came to taiwan last may 28, 2015 and stayed for 190days i think and this year for about 187days till end of December, my passport doesn’t have id card no on it , my father was a born Filipino too, when he came here in Taiwan 1991 with his Filipino passport , and that year he applied for residence id with the help of my cousin who has a residence id because she married a taiwanese and that same year my father has been granted a 身分證, now that my father is gone (passed away) i’m wondering if i too can get a 身分證 even without my father’s presence.

To be honest, I’ve never heard of such a scenario. What you describe doesn’t sound legally possible.

However, if you do have a passport, you’re presumably here legitimately, so I’d guess 11173’s answer applies (as he said, you’re a ‘national’ but not a ‘citizen’ - my mistake). You just need to go to the HRO and fill in the paperwork.

Yeah in the USA such a law will be considered discriminatory . Are people born before 1980 then lesser humans deserving of lesser rights?

That’s a convenient distinction to make in English, but is there any distinction in Chinese that parallels the English “national” and “citizen” (which may be interchangeable depending on the country being discussed)?

If there isn’t, then it seems you should say “ROC national without household registration” and “ROC national with household registration” whenever you need to make it clear to anyone.

Perhaps 國民 for national and 公民 for citizen? The distinction makes sense looking at the characters.

It may make sense, but is it in the law or used by people in the government?

Off the top of my head, whenever this comes up in law it’s a long phrase meaning “ROC national with/without household registration”, but if there’s a short form like 國民/公民 that’s actually in the law or in common use by the government, that’s great.

Nah, I just made it up.

Did you ever find the solution to your problem? I think I understand your situation and what it sounds like you need is to apply for a TARC first (with your dad’s ID card), and then after you get this, you can apply for your own ID card (but you must stay in Taiwan for a full year AFTER you get the TARC).

The NIA should be able to tell you all the documents you need, and there will be A LOT, but it should be possible if you have your dad’s ID card, even if he passed away.

After getting your taiwanese passport in the philippines. Did you enter taiwan using your taiwanese passport?

If your father passed away already… Your father cannot petition you to get the taiwan id…
Because if he still alive. He need to sign up papers at the national immigration agency with all the required documents like marriage, birth certifcate you and your father
Authenticate and translated by teco.

The only way to get taiwan id again is stayed here for 7 years using t.a.r.c no more than 183 days outside of taiwan.

How do you get your t.a.r.c get a houshold registration-- lent… Gave up your filipino citizenship.
Military conscription 1 year.

some parts are inaccurate. Iiuc.

If your parent was a Taiwanese with hukou at your birth, you can still apply for a TARC through the hukou after the parent passed away.

If you stay in Taiwan for 7 years using your Taiwanese PASSPORT no less than 183 days each year, you can apply for a TARC.

After you are in Taiwan for a certain period on your TARC, you can apply for your citizenship without renouncing your original nationality.

Instruction to apply for TARC

1 Like

Parents who hold taiwan id…

With houkou as principal registration at your birth in taiwan-- you can apply for t.a.r.c

With houkou … Not a principal registration — if your parents passed away… – you can not apply for t.a.r.c

With houkou, you were born overseas-- in the philippines – you cant apply for tarc.

If your parents did submit newborn babies to consulate office in taiwan…

They will give your parents your taiwan id number… You can apply for t.a.r.c

He can retrieve citizenship through houkou and taiwan id number as principal household…

Are there any special laws that are applied to Filipinos?

Chinese instruction on TECO in Manila site doesn’t say so.


Just Got My Taiwan ID feel so much better now.