Dual citizenship kid and travel

(Maybe this should be in Parenting)
Anyone got a kid with Taiwan & Other passports who’s living here on their Taiwan citizenship?
What do you do when you want to take them home for a visit?

My kid leaves Taiwan showing his Taiwan passport, (also show US passport to airline since there is no US visa), and show his US passport to enter the States. He has been on 5 trips now with no questions asked.

Never a problem, even when he and I re-entered Taiwan (sans tai tai) and used his TW passport.

Thanks boys, anyone done the same with Canookdia?

Yes, we did it with our daughter over CNY and are going to be doing it again this summer. No problem at all.

Yes, we did it with our daughter over CNY and are going to be doing it again this summer. No problem at all.[/quote]

So, basically, the check in desk doesn’t care that she’s leaving on a Taiwan ppt, and the Immigration dudes there don’t really give a monkey’s where she came from, is that right?

[quote=“the chief”]

So, basically, the check in desk doesn’t care that she’s leaving on a Taiwan ppt, and the Immigration dudes there don’t really give a monkey’s where she came from, is that right?[/quote]

I think that is pretty much it. ROC stamps pasports on leaving and entry but I guess Canada doesn’t. I’m not sure but I’m thinking the airline would have to see the passport of the country you are heading for to make sure you will be allowed entry into that country.

I think the passport control here is very familiar with this practise, given the number of dual passport holders in Taiwan.

The usual procedure is:

Check in using both of the passports when leaving Taiwan. The airline needs to confirm that you can clear immigration leaving Taiwan and when entering the destination country. (ROC citizens cannot leave on a foreign passport unless they entered on that passport.)

Exit Taiwan using the ROC passport.

Enter the destination country using the other passport.

On the return do the reverse:

Check in using both of the passports when leaving the other country. The airline needs to confirm that you can clear immigration leaving that country and can enter Taiwan. (For countries like the US which don’t really have an immigration checkpoint when leaving, the airline needs to collect the immigration form, and direct the passenger to register their departure with the US-VISIT machine.)

Exit the country using the other passport (if applicable).

Enter Taiwan using the ROC passport.