Dumb Housing Regulations in the USA

I was looking to purchase a 4 bed, 2 bath house. The master, which I would occupy, is on the ground floor with its own bath.

There are three bedrooms and one bath on the third (top) floor. I would like to rent all three out, except for the fact that three people sharing one bath is a bit much.

So the plan is to build an extra bathroom on the second floor deck. If I can build an extra bathroom, then I could rent out the three rooms, and I would only have to put 5% down. On the other hand, if I can only rent out two rooms, then I’d have to put 20% down.

I have to get a permit from the county to build on the deck. It should be pretty easy; regulations say you can’t build a hot tub but nothing about a bathroom.

But then you’d need HOA approval, and to get that you need the county permit first, plus approval from your neighbors. And you can’t get a permit until after you own the home.

So with approval uncertain, I don’t know how much to put down.

House was sold before I could make a decision.

So it sounds like like you can get away with 5% if rent 3, and need 20% down if only rent 2. You want to build a bathroom (good idea) because 3 rooms sharing o e is icky and inconvenient. Which is true but I don’t see that being the banks concern. You tell the bank whatever, get the 5% and figure out the permit thing later.

But hot tubs are in the regulations? Is this in Taiwan? Or a strata type thing? I’ve never seen hot tubs be on government building code related radars ever in Taiwan.

This is in the USA.

Sounds like it’s in Northern Virginia or Maryland or, god forbid, D.C. If so then yes the USA - but just barely.

You are correct

Virginia >>> Maryland. In Virginia, you don’t need a reason to evict someone, it’s your property.