Dumbest thing a foreigner has said about Taiwan?

Haha fair enough! :+1:

Actually, Ive just checked the firetrap on the back of my apartment, our of curiousity. And I’d never noticed but there’s an openable door on side. I’d never looked closely at it so never noticed it before. So it’s not as much of a firetrap as I feared. But still, I’m guessing some of them don’t have an opening.

They’re not for typhoon protection; they’re to protect against burglaries and other home invasions, just like the metal drop-down gates are.

When "The Walking Dead " first came out, one site posted a question of “how safe is your house from zombie attack?” Most of Taiwan’s houses rate pretty well.

4 Likes

I always thought they were to stop stuff smashing windows when there’s a typhoon because even the top floor of my 8 or 9 floor apartment has them. If for thievery protection, wouldn’t it just be the lower floors that have them?

Seems a bit redundant putting them on the top floor when you’d need to be spiderman to reach the window.

1 Like

Taiwan has lots of cat burglars. They have no problem getting into upper-floor apartments.

2 Likes

My friend remodeled his apartment on the 9th floor. He insisted on removing the bars. Soon enough, during the typhoon season, something came flying from another’s building roof into his window, shattering it into pieces. No one wanted to fix it until the typhoon passed.

Be careful. :smile: Posters, as per my Grant/Judah Benjamin posts, get really pissy when you school themX100 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: on US history.

Instead of complaining, they should thank me for imparting on them some erudition. I see a modern day North/South dichotomy. The Puritans complaining about the Gentlemen. :smile:

Well, it was hardly some nuanced take, open to interpretation.

1 Like

That’s just incredibly unlucky. Those bars are 99% for security.

I wouldn’t count the airport line. Its not a proper metro, you can’t even transfer from other stations, i’ve tried it.

The Purple Line is being extended to Zhongli, and the Green Line is under construction, but yeah, the system still has a ways to go.

Foreigners get beaten up and killed sometimes. But not random, most of it is in the ‘nightlife’ scene.

And people falling out, increase the size of the apartment, storage.

The east coast houses have real storm/typhoon shutters, especially down south/east houses at the water front.

People build enclosures on the first floor patios and thieves use ladders on them to get up.

Whenever I build a patio enclosure, someone always complains about that, but they can’t do anything because it’s not in the first priority of illegal structures. As of now, anything not first priority is safe until all the first priority structures are cleared. That will never happen though. :joy:

I don’t know, just telling one unlucky experience. Maybe it has a purpose of both.

1 Like

Well sure, people from zhong li need to get to the airport too!

But seriously i was just trying to say that taoyuan having a few stops on the airport line does not makes it an equivalent of new taipei city which has a zillion stops on taipei’s mrt network.

I’m staying out of that argument, ha ha.

1 Like

I, too, always assumed it was to protect from typhoon debris. Are we really pretending that people who are willing and able to scale the walls of a several-story building to enter through the windows would somehow not be able to bend or cut through some flimsy lightweight metal mesh? That seems roughly on par with believing red paper signs keep out evil spirits.

1 Like

The dumbest thing I ever said about Taiwan was, “I’ll be able to live in Taiwan.”