Dumbest thing a foreigner has said about Taiwan?

Seems to happen once every few years, and stays in the news for weeks or months for each incident, which is rather quaint compared to back home.

1 Like

Not everybody has the bars on their windows. Those apartments, of course, are the first choice for burglars. This fact is expressed in the Chinese phrase 防君子 (protection against the gentleman), which means that if a burglar really wants to get into your apartment, he can. But he’s obviously going to go for the easy target first.

Exactly. Taipei’s MRT system extends into Taoyuan, where Taipei’s airport TPE is located. Somehow this is your argument for Taoyuan not being a part of Taipei’s metro area? :thinking:

1 Like

You could say that taoyuan is part of the surrounding taipei metro area if you like, but it would be wrong to say the same about new taipei -specifically the densely populated districts in the immediate vicinity of Taipei city. Banqiao, sanchong, xindian, yong he for example.

This isn’t rocket science, and i can’t be assed to repeat myself any more, so have at it. :woman_shrugging:

What I like is irrelevant. It’s a simple matter of facts. I agree that it’s definitely not rocket science. There is the city, and then there is the metro area. Both have well-defined boundaries that you don’t seem to want to acknowledge. It’s okay— you don’t have to— but that doesn’t change them.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I know someone who actually broke her arm slipping on those wet tiles.

It’s the ultimate kind of Chabaduoism: using wall tiles as floor tiles. Maybe wall tiles are cheaper?

2 Likes

What facts are those? 11 year outdated facts? nice one.

This is what I mean by “Taiwan is so safe; the people are so friendly” is the dumbest thing a foreigner has said.

Here you have two foreigners saying that burglar bars are actually for “typhoon protection,” because Taiwan couldn’t have any burglars, let alone spiderman type burglars.

Because Taiwan is so safe, and the people are so friendly.

1 Like

Welcome to Taiwan.

2 Likes

A common phrase in my life.

You grossly misread my post if you thought I said Taiwan couldn’t possibly have burglars. I’m just saying I don’t anyone willing to go the lengths of scaling a building is going to be stopped by some flimsy fencing. The stuff I’ve seen on most windows and balconies here doesn’t look particularly secure, to say the least.

Also, I didn’t say they were for typhoon protection. That was just my best guess because they don’t look like they’d be good for much else. :man_shrugging:t2: It’s far easier to imagine them stopping debris than stopping a human being (let alone a professional criminal). If they’re actually effective at protection from breaking and entering, then that doesn’t say much about the burglars here. I bet it’s more about making the residents feel safe— like the red paper signs.

And yes, more than anything, they are absolutely ugly as hell. The combination of those things and the moldy bathroom tile and concrete exteriors make urban Taiwan look more like a poor country than it actually is.

The balcony screening has prevented articles of my laundry from blowing away a couple of times, though, so there’s that I guess.

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

The literal and current boundaries of the city as defined by the government, which is who defines the boundaries of cities. You know, the whole thing we are discussing. Yeah, those facts.

I don’t even know what point you’re still trying to argue or why at this point. If you think the boundaries of Taipei should be expanded to include part or all of current New Taipei, that’s cool— Petition the government, not me. Trying to convince random people on the internet that the city limits are somewhere other than where they actually are isn’t going to be an effective strategy for making your wishes a reality.

1 Like

That much is obvious.
Please look up de facto vs de jure

Not, it’s Taoyuan International Airport TIA, which is known as TPE for obvious global flight logistical reason.

That obvious reason being that TPE stands for Taipei. Ever book a flight here? You chose Taipei on the drop down menu, didn’t you? When you landed, they said welcome to Taipei, didn’t they? It’s the major international airport for Taipei.

1 Like

The airport is Taoyuan International Airport, not Taipei airport. It’s actually the major airport for Taiwan.

Correct— Taipei has two airports, Taoyuan and Songshan. As with many major cities, Taipei’s largest airport is outside the city proper, in Taoyuan.

https://www.taipei-airport.com/

If you’re talking about all of Taiwan, there are way more airports.

1 Like

It would just be a nightmare to rename it to TIA for international flights. All booking systems had to be upgraded.

Major airport for Taiwan. And TPE is just a designation for flight schedules, IATA.