Dumbest thing a foreigner has said about Taiwan?

That would be completely irrelevant since TIA belongs to an airport in Albania. Tulsa’s airport is also known as TIA locally, but that’s also irrelevant. To everyone else it is TUL, like Taipei is TPE.

1 Like

In general I feel comprehension levels are low.

1 Like

Yes, quite interesting map. For me just one big city (Taipei-Taoyuan) just like Pingtung and Kaoshuing basically part of one metro area (Lots of Pingtung residents work and shop in Kao just like living in Kao City proper and its like that in Taipei-Taoyuan). Pingtung City has better links than parts of remote Kao, and Taoyuan is better linked than remote parts of New Taipei to the urban city as far as daily life. It’s like this in many places like where I was before in the Greater Dublin Area. Dublin proper has half million people, the " Greater Dublin Area" has triple that which makes feel not like a city of half million and same with Taipei, the “greater Taipei area” is what makes it feel big. (also like Kao City has more people Taipei City but it’s a not a bigger city by most peoples thinking)

2 Likes

It’s like the two sides of a coin, each being a correct way to identify the coin. Then the posters on each side start arguing that the coin they’re seeing isn’t the same coin the other is seeing.

3 Likes

I’m not actually saying that though.

I thought I was describing both sides of the coin by pointing out that there is the city AND the greater metro area, but some don’t want to see that, I guess.

1 Like

You are trying to say that, but you are also ignoring that the official boundary separates to another city. Which, officially has the same standing, almost the same name, and a higher population. New Taipei is not taipei county anymore.

In reality the lines drawn between “the greater metro area” are not so clear.

1 Like

But TPE is not and will never belong to Taipei City.

But TSA (TSA Airport) does so maybe people can use TSA= Taipei.

It should be Taipei airport, not Songshan airport.

That’s a pretty good description of every political discussion on Forumosa!

1 Like

Beware the “both sides!” false equivalence fallacy, though. Facts don’t have equal and opposite facts. Generally the opposite of a truth is a lie.

1 Like

The simplest way to understand it is this. When someone asks you where you live you say “Taiwan”. They reply “Thailand?” and you say “No, Taipei, Taiwan. Near Japan. Across from China.” You don’t really go into the specific detail of which province/burough/prefecture/shire you live. You might live in Banqiao. Banqiao used to be a city in its own right but was amalgamated into New Taipei City when that entity was created. You don’t say New Taipei City even because that brings up the usual stupid questions of “Where’s Old Taipei City?” You don’t even say you live in Chinese Taipei because only a few elite athletes will have heard of that (and mostly through things like table tennis and badminton). I’m not a big fan of George Bush Snr but I agree with his statement that the refusal to recognise Taiwan by the UN when Rapprochement happened has been a travesty for the island and the people living here.

The problem in the early 1970s wasn’t the UN. It was the Chiang regime who walked out of the General Assembly while the US, Japan, etc were begging them to stay as “Taiwan,” something Chiang Sr could never accept.

We’ve been living with the consequences of this decision since.

Guy

3 Likes

Well, Taipei IS pretty big and sprawling… used to live in Tienmu and had a friend in Nangang. It would be a 45-60m drive depending on traffic. Maybe a little faster via public transit (bus+MRT) or bike.

It’s obviously not as massive as a place like Shanghai or Beijing, but still pretty big

4 Likes

FYI: The civilian section of Songshan Airport, officially Taipei International Airport per Wiki, so both are correct. TPE= not Taipei international (but to most people this is what it is)

haha, good one ! When you tell locals how long you been here, some will say, oh your Taiwanese now.