Dumping kitchen waste punishable by $15 million fine

This article is a little hard to follow but this is the part that concerns me:

The rest of the article is about food waste at pig farms. Does this mean people will get fined for dumping food at hog farms, or in some other place like in a river, or does it mean I can go to prison for putting a leftover sausage in the trash bag and then the garbage truck rather than in the food recycling barrel?

Is there a chinese article for this? This seems poorly translated version.

They never really cared about dumping food waste in the waste bin. I guess this means dumping large amounts of food waste out in the open where it can attract flies and other pests.

The same law applies for illegal burning of rubbish… no idea how, if ever it’s enforced.

CNA is linked in the same article!

1 Like

This article has nothing to do with dumping kitchen waste. It simply talks about not using food waste to feed pigs and that there’s a fine for doing so, and that the government will provide subsidies to help them buy feeds.

If that english article is a translation it’s a very bad translation because a lot of information is missing.

1 Like

This might be it:

1 Like

This is something I have been wondering for a long time. I was under the impression that leftovers were collected and then fed to pigs. And I started wondering how that would indirectly affect people if infected people somehow transmitted their viruses to pigs which were later butchered and sold back to people.

No, food waste is being used in bioreactors to produce energy.

Everything is mixed up in those left overs. It might have some toxic pollutants.
Nobody in their right mind would feed livestock with the publicly collected leftovers! There is no control of what is being dumped in there.

2 Likes

No, some food waste is made into animal feed. In my community the food waste is separated into two bins: one to be made into animal feed and one for other stuff. Animal feed one is not supposed to have bones, egg shells etc. thrown in there. Not sure how many people actually pay attention to that though…

3 Likes

That’s what I thought. :face_vomiting:

Are they digging through it to make sure? Most of the stuff going in is already rotting due to Taiwanese heat. Pigs are more durable to this, but in the end they are living animals.
Would a farmer risk their whole lot dying because someone dumped some pills in there?

Most of the recycled food waste goes to bioreactors and for fertilizers production.

I can imagine there are projects to collect food waste for animal feed, but those will not be taking in food waste from random people.
More likely some vegetable leftovers from food markets, restauraunts, etc.

1 Like

I assume they must have some kind of basic filtering for foreign objects, and then if there are any poisonous objects the overall percentage will be very low and probably not enough to harm the animals. But I am interested to know what safety precautions are taken.

https://recycle.epb.taichung.gov.tw/kitchenwaste/p3_02.asp

They did, or at least used to. It is/was a government operation, pig farmers could buy the composted slops from the government. I think they paused it during either swine fever or Covid, not sure if it is operational again. I think it is kind of mad too, because if you look at what some of the old geezers at the garbage night put in there, I’ve seen brightly coloured plasticy stickers with questionable biodegradability, plus I’m sure there are mountains of other plastic that accidently make their way in there.

And yet, I’m just defrosting some Taiwan pork in the kitchen to eat for tea tonight…

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure they used to back in the day. It was boiled to hell and back before being given to the pigs, so I’m not sure it was any better than pignuts.

Composting it is a reasonable solution.

Burning food and then subsidizing commercial pigfeed, OTOH, is damn stupid. It’s done all over the world, and it’s a huge disincentive for farmers to actually care for pigs properly. What’s wrong with making compost, selling it at-cost, and encouraging people to use it to develop pastured-pork operations?

1 Like

Always thought it was high risk to feed slops collected from the general public to pigs, zero ability to control what substances may have been purposely/accidentally added to the slop. Would imagine the process of turning it into pig food is similar to that in Las Vegas

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that pig farmers also directly received the pig slops and processed them themselves in some cases.

So, I understand what pigs can’t eat, but what I want to know is, when I take out the trash, if I put a sausage in the bag for the garbage truck and not in the cooked food recycle barrel, can I get a fine?

Looking at the CNA article, I think the Taiwan “News” article was gibberish, but it’s got me worried because that’s not something I’m careful about. Most of what goes into the garbage truck is incinerated anyway, right?

2 Likes

You don’t say! :rofl:

No, the fines are for farm owners and their staff for feeding pigs food waste.

Only farms with at least 200 hogs will be allowed to use food waste-based feed because such farms have the capacity to run three-stage sewage processing facilities

Farms with 200 hogs+ are precisely those that are more likely to incubate diseases like ASF. Small herds of pigs on pasture are much less prone to disease; and if they do get diseases they are easier to manage.

A similar route was taken in various other countries, making it difficult or impossible for small operators to remain in business, thereby resulting in more waste, more inefficiency, lower meat quality, lower quality-of-life for the animals, and nontrivial biological hazards. But that’s “modernization” for you.

Frankly, though, food waste is best just composted. It retains the biological value while eliminating the risk of disease.

1 Like