Dust at home: how do you deal with it

Like rats, giant spiders, cockroaches. Cat makes sure they stay away from my home. I’m sure the pile of mangled rat corpse serves as a warning to them…

To them and to women.

2 Likes

Depends on lots of factors, but this works for me:

1. Clean your house top-down.
    Lots of dust is found on tall objects (shelves, chandeliers, etc.)

2. Vacuum + mop at least once a week

3. Properly seal the entrance door and other doors in the house.
    Draft can bring in quite a portion of the dust.

4. Check your laundry machine cotton-thread filters.
    Cotton threads from clothes make at least a half of the dust in my house (mainly due to the cheap laundry machine).

5. Don’t open windows when the pollution is really high.
    Pollution indoors can also be high!
    DO open them when the pollution levels aren’t concerning.

6. Buy the air-purifier with HEPA filter.
    Even the cheap ones work!

1 Like

This is a key step, especially with furry pets around.

I would love to say that’s the case, but cleaning the house and reducing the inflow of the the dust is to pave the path for it’s proper operation. Otherwise filter’s lifecycle will be short and it won’t be able to achieve its full potential.

Yeah you’re right, those are things I’ve always done, just found the purifier helped a lot when we got one. Which reminds me I really do need a new filter! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Tell wife.

2 Likes

This should be marked as a solution!

1 Like

Japanese ‘tank’ mop, the pink one. Dyson v8 on high power setting between moppings. Zig zagging stupid robot vacuums are focking useless.

Actually, most dust IS us: fallen dry skin flakes

Yum.
Although I think in your case it is non human.

I have a book on dust, if anybody wants to borrow it I’ll dust it off.

I beg to differ. Cheap robot vacuums do little to nothing for dust because they don’t have filters on them, which means they just throw dirt and dust up in the air as they vacuum, more or less defeating their purpose. I have the Roomba 890, which has a filter, and I have a cat. I know people with huskies and retrievers who swear by their Roomba 890. (no one is giving me money for saying that.) You do need to change out the filter, because it will gather dust and clog, but that’s the case with any decent vacuum, which will have disposable filter that will work better for keeping dust levels down than the sheet of fabric you find in “reusable” filters on cheaper vacuums. Obviously using a Dyson or something fancy and getting into nooks and crannies is going to do a better job than a robot vacuum, but all I have to do is make sure there’s nothing on the floor, push a button, and go out for dinner. My floors just wouldn’t get cleaned if I didn’t use a Roomba because I don’t want to spend hours/week manually cleaning my floors. It’s glorious to see a slightly dirty floor when I leave and come back to something quite clean. Also, I had a Panasonic stick vacuum and would end up sweeping the floor after I vacuumed and before mopping because it was so bad. You get what you pay for in a vacuum. I have no experience with Dyson, but the higher end Roombas are well worth their cost.

1 Like

This is an impossible task in my house.

Not according to studies I’ve read. Only about 1/3 or less of household dust is us.

Like NZ stated, a roomba and a HEPA room air filter. I suggest one of the many knockoff roomba automated vaccums which can be cheaper/better. Be sure to order extra consumables with it- air cleaner element and rotating brushes. And then a highly rated HEPA air filter… but before you buy… check the cost of the replacement filters because you’ll be replacing them FREQUENTLY! This will hopefully cut down on the black sooty footprints leading from the bathroom to the bedroom. Wet feet really highten the awarenss around the dust and air pollution particles.

1 Like

depends on where you live though, it’s definitley from air pollution, especially vehicle soot from cars, trucks, buses and mopeds. Also, Taiwans many gugantic coal burning power stations… and dust from the many constructions sites and concrete demo work on home renovations :wink: So many sources! ha

Shout at cleaning lady!

Every year you break out your cleaning supplies and start cleaning like mad before CNY.

1 Like