DVD Player with Surround 5.1 and DTS output

Does anyone own one of those? If so which one, price, how do you like it? etc…
Thanks a bunch.

You want the analog 5.1 output (6x RCA/phono connection) or just a digital output that supports DD/DTS 5.1?

Actually both would be great, and also need an HDMI port.

And multi-region, multi-system and multi-voltage I assume?

Multi region would be nice, multi system/voltage not needed.
:wink:

The OPPO DV-970HD is just what I need, but unfortunatly, not available in Taiwan.

Pretty much any DVD player should be able to output Dolby Digital and DTS, and you really are better off outputting it in digital. Most players also have analog Dolby Digital outputs as Dolby Digital support is required by the DVD standard and only the cheapies don’t bother to put connectors for it (they downmix to stereo instead). Analog DTS output is a fairly rare feature though. You would need to get a player than specifically supports DTS as it isn’t required in the standard.

I’ve just bought a Pioneer DVD/surround sound system. It has a player that plays anything, 2 front and back speakers, a center speaker, and a sub.

I won’t be able to give you guys all the technical specs because I’m not really into that type of thing, but the sound is awesome. I’ve also plugged in the XBox and digital cable, and has a USB link for playing music from the computer/MP3 player.

Definately worth buying IMHO… :smiley:

Actually no, that’s why I am asking!
For instance the 3C next to my place has only 1 from all their collections. Many player can “fake” surround sound, but they can’t actually output it.

Could you please tell which DVD player is it?

[quote=“igorveni”]Actually no, that’s why I am asking!
For instance the 3C next to my place has only 1 from all their collections. Many player can “fake” surround sound, but they can’t actually output it.[/quote]
I don’t think that’s correct, DD and DTS output via the digital connection (optical or coaxial) is common since years.
If you mean the 6-channel (analog) output it might be correct, hardly any manufacturer will bother because even the cheapest AV receiver/amplifier can decode at least DD and DTS.

Where do you want to connect the DVD player to, audio-wise? What connections does that equipment have?

HDMI still costs a lot, at least last time I checked. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have a large digital TV and are the kind of person that really cares about having the bes picture quality.

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“igorveni”]Actually no, that’s why I am asking!
For instance the 3C next to my place has only 1 from all their collections. Many player can “fake” surround sound, but they can’t actually output it.[/quote]
I don’t think that’s correct, DD and DTS output via the digital connection (optical or coaxial) is common since years.[/quote]
Yes, but it doesn’t realy OUTPUT true DTS sound. For instance, I have a DVD Player that says DTS on it, but trust, it doesn’t output it.

To my amplifier, which has all the connections needed.

Well, actually you can get a decent HDMI DvD Player for around 4000NT, however the cable itself HDMI-HDMI sale around 1100NT, that is rediculously expensive.

Can’t reject the possibility that it’s broken or that it really isn’t technically able but it would be a very rare case indeed.

And, not that I think you are stupid, but you know that you can only get DTS from DVDs with DTS on it and that you must select the DTS track at the DVD player? As well check the settings in your DVD player regarding outputting digital signals, and at your AV amplifier/receiver (if that’s the kind of amp you have, see also below).

What kind of amplifier? Can you name make and model?

Can’t reject the possibility that it’s broken or that it really isn’t technically able but it would be a very rare case indeed.

And, not that I think you are stupid, but you know that you can only get DTS from DVDs with DTS on it and that you must select the DTS track at the DVD player? As well check the settings in your DVD player regarding outputting digital signals, and at your AV amplifier/receiver (if that’s the kind of amp you have, see also below).

What kind of amplifier? Can you name make and model?[/quote]
The DVD PLayer that I currently have, which says DTS on it, like I said, won’t play DTS audio tracks, I know you have to select the DTS track in the Audio option of the DVD. But that’s my whole point.
There’s actually no sound at all coming out.
Switching to my friend’s player who has all the connection needed on his player, then the DTS sounds comes out clean and neat.
I have a Techeunion sound system (German made).

does it say “DTS Digital output” or something ? That might mean it outputs a DTS digital signal and doesn’t contain a DTS decoder.

It just has the DTS logo in front. That’s it.

Actually no, that’s why I am asking![/quote]

Oops, I dropped a few words from what I intended to write. I meant to add ‘over their digital output’ at the end of the above. Basically what Rascal said in his followup. Almost every DVD player has either an optical or coax digital audio output which basically just copies out the exact audio stream recorded on the DVD without any decoding or worrying about whether it is LPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, or some other format. It’s then up to your receiver to decode and amplify. Almost any player will support Dolby Digital and DTS at least to this extent. It’s only if you want the player to decode DTS to analog that you’ll have trouble finding something.

To my amplifier, which has all the connections needed.[/quote]

What kind of connections do you use? If they are six RCA type cables then you are using the analog audio connections and your player will have to have an internal decoder. If it is a single fiber optic or RCA type cable then you are using the digital output and your player doesn’t have to do anything but pipe the bits to your receiver. In the second case it is your receiver which needs to support DTS.

I’m guessing that your receiver is only analog and doesn’t have any decoders built into itself. In that case you will need to find a DVD player with a built in DTS decoder which is going to be very hard to find. If you really want DTS support, you might want to consider upgrading your receiver to one with digital inputs. That’s the way 99% of people use DTS, so you will have a much easier time finding something that works.

To my amplifier, which has all the connections needed.[/quote]

I’m guessing that your receiver is only analog and doesn’t have any decoders built into itself. In that case you will need to find a DVD player with a built in DTS decoder which is going to be very hard to find. If you really want DTS support, you might want to consider upgrading your receiver to one with digital inputs. That’s the way 99% of people use DTS, so you will have a much easier time finding something that works.[/quote]

Thanks jlick.