Earl Grey tea (Taipei)

I’ve tried everything they sell at Sogo, Jasons, Shin Kong Mistuskoshi, Rose House, etc.
Anyone know of any other places in Taipei to find quality Early Grey tea, esp. loose tea?
Anyone know if Brooke Bond is available in Taipei (Taiwan), loose or bagged?
Thanks,
Eric

Earl Grey is sold at Jasons.

if you cant find your englsih/indian/s.african tea… try this place its a french company with wonderful loose teas…
madamrose.com.tw/

icetea@email.com
just another tea lover
A Unique Tea Ceremony
At the Luyu Tea Center (陸羽茶藝中心), upstairs of a Ten Ren shop at 64 Hengyang Road (衡陽路), taipei. students learn the art of selecting and brewing tea. Here, general manager Tsai Rong-tsang (蔡榮章) has developed a ceremony ideally suited to Asian society.

I have some friends studing tea arts i will ask them about your stuff your selling
standard lamp, a square, brown Japanese style table, a black coffee table , and a stepper .

i like your blog its great.
also if anyone else has a blog in english on tea please let me know… i will spread the word…
steven

we have tea classes in english

we specialize in chinese/taiwanese methods. but also teach many other methods including and other asian countries to include japan korean and england russain…ect the list is vast.
we have classes about the brewing methods of chinese/taiwanese tea … . Also “The Art of Making Tea” and history of tea and the classification of teas and how to tell them apart.
the address is::my name is steven.
if i am not there give them a minute to find someone that can speak english…

Lu-Yu Tea Culture Institute
3rd Fl., 64, Heng-Yang Rd., Taipei, Taiwan 100
Tel (02) 2331-6636 ext. 9
FAX (02) 23897789

this is the website sorry its in chinese i am working on the english part now we really need more english websites, books and information, i am part of a project on doing this.
Wu-Wo Tea Association
wu-wotea.com.tw/index.html

try the breeze supermarket…they carry taylors of harrogate loose leaf earl grey (tho may be sold out)…this is a top class earl grey and i know my earl greys!! jasons shd also have it but i was there on sunday and they were out.

some people get hooked on name brands without knowing about the estates they come from (tea farms). i here you guys trying to find english tea (indian tea), i hope you guys are trying the taiwanese teas, oriental beauty or sweet Pengfeng Oolong (椪風茶) or Oriental Beauty Tea for which Miaoli is famous. just copy the chinese to a printer and bring it with you to the tea shop. remember in taiwan tea shops you always try the tea before you buy and you don’t have to buy some people think, well if they get me sitting down they got me but no really many people come in and just have some tea and come back later and buy or don’t buy at all. now china is different there you never try the tea they just show you a bag or box and you buy or not, how do we say, let the buyer beware! taiwan also has lots of nice black teas, (they have a malty taste) you might want to try as well the oolongs, i also drink indian teas, but i get them cheaper in america. most of the taiwanese supermarkets you guys are talking about have tea bag tea , yuck. they call that floor sweeping in some places. anyway just my opinion. I do like Earl Gray (flavored with oil of bergamot). this tea is from India or Sri Lanka, some black teas also come from Kenya, Malawi, Zimbabwe, and Keemun tea from China.
icetea@email.com

i agree madam rose has very nice tea and their black tea are great they have black tea with rose scent, its one of there main products.
as far as taiwan the oolongs are the best in the world. one of the favorites of many foreignors is oriental beauty which is a 60% fermented oolong with the white tips that gives the loose tea the colors of white black red grean very distinct. another favorite for foreignors is dong ding…
anyone have any favorite teas? from anywhere in the world?

Icetea and Sherdwen, how nice that you agree with each other. But how about sticking to the topic of Earl Grey and leaving the general discussions about “tea arts” to the thread of that name that Sherdwen started?
[Tea and the tea arts

[quote=“icetea”]if you cant find your englsih/indian/s.african tea… try this place its a french company with wonderful loose teas…
madamrose.com.tw/[/quote]I checked the site out. Looks nice. They have 100g of Earl Grey for 620NT. Seems a bit pricey to me but then if it’s good stuff people may feel it’s worth it.

I get Earl Grey (Twinings IIRC) from the Chung Yo department store in Taichung for a few hundred NT. I had assumed that most big department stores would stock the same or similar.

I would hope that tea arts and tea buying would be related especially if you wanted some good advice on tea. If possible stay away from tea bags they are bleached and are not the best quality of tea, because in the process of making those big tea leaves so small as to fit in a tea western/european tea bag, the tea has to be very small or in most cases the bottom of the barrel, “so to speak” when tea is processed or under goes any fermentation or roasting it is really harsh on the exposed tea leaf particals.

“old or first” Traditional Earl Gray is aromatic tea made from a Keemun black tea, & perfused with natural bergamot essence. Bergamot is a type of Chinese citrus, and the aroma is similar to a sweet orange. Unlike many commercial “Earl Grey” teas, “Traditional Earl Gray” does not possess an overpowering & artificial fruit scent, nor a “metallic” finish. Twinings I think makes Earl Grey in tea bags only right? This tea has an interesting history, like most teas, Earl Grey tea was named after Charles Grey. The legend is that the Earl was given the recipe by a Chinese mandarin with whom he was friends, and whose life he had saved.

“new and many” The popular non-China countries: Earl Grey is a blend of Indian and Ceylon teas. Bergamot is a small acidic orange. The latest research indicates that the Bergamot orange is a cross between the sweet or pear lemon (Citrus Limetta) and the Seville or sour orange (Citrus Aurantium). The sour orange is native to southern Vietnam, hence the Chinese connection.

earl grey all over the net.
With the internet now you can buy anything anywhere. I know it isn’t the same as visiting a shop and smelling and tasting for yourself, but the sky is the limit if we speak of variety and convenience
strandtea.com/black.htm#classic
here are to you might try both are loose teas
EARL GREY - Extra Fancy Blend
There are several legends about the origin of this blend, named after the British Prime Minister, Earl Grey (1830-1834). Full leaf China, India and Ceylon teas flavored with oil of bergamot have made Earl Grey Tea popular worldwide.
Item Code CBB102
2 oz 3.25

last post today I promise,
I would like to invite you guys and girls to my group to talk and learn about tea and how to buy tea, this can be very important in Taiwan. Because the teashops let you try the tea. Taiwan has so many tea shops as well as lots of food places to.
please join at.
groups.yahoo.com/group/teaarts/

tks

[quote=“sherdwen”]Twinings I think makes Earl Grey in tea bags only right?[/quote]No, they do loose Earl Grey as well.

Interesting EG info you posted. I still suggest you keep general tea stuff to the other tea thread. People will see new posts there when they click on the “new posts” and “24” buttons.

well it seems like this thread is or was before slowing down…anyway how is your search for earl grey going. there is a new mall in taipei, da zhr (i am spelling it wrong i think) the mall-department store is call mai-li-hua. it is the big new one with the ferris wheel. i bet they got lots of tea next time i go i will ck on the teas. earl grey that is.

Thanks to all for the tea info. I like all kinds of tea and have tried most of the Taiwanese teas.

I’d never tried Earl Grey until I was a junior in college in the U.S.
My friends and I were watching Star Trek the next generation and the captain said, “Computer, tea, Earl Grey, hot” We all said what is that? and rushed to the supermarket and picked a box of Twinings Fine Earl Grey.

I’ve tried close to a hundred different kinds of Earl Grey since then, loose and bagged. Some quite good, some just so-so with most of them tasting the same to me.

I generally like Earl Greys that have a stronger bergamot flavor.

Still looking for Brooke Bond Earl Grey in Taipei. Anyone know where to find it?

Thanks,
E.

sadly quality earl grey is in abeyance. Taylors of Harrogate has disappeared from the market. There is a nice French brand in City Super that has 3 or 4 Earl Grey varieties including blue grey. Twinings is crap.