Early retirees, what are your days like?

I moved back to Taiwan to be close to family recently. I don’t call myself “retired” but I don’t miss working and doubt that I will ever go back to work. I have lots of interests that can easily fill my day, but it still feels weird not being “productive”… Just wondering what other early retirees do to make their lives feel fulfilled.

3 Likes

Cycling.
I always tell people, if you are going to retire, find something that fills up your day about 3-4 hours. It could even be a part-time job that is so easy, you can do it in your sleep, or volunteer somewhere, or do some trekking or exploring in the city/town where you live.
Just don’t “retire” and have nothing to do (not saying this is you, @quandary , just what I generally tell people).

7 Likes

I love cycling - used to do bike touring and centuries in the US. I ride You Bike almost daily to visit family. However, it’s hard to do it for an extended time as I am not used to the heat and humidity.

1 Like

Do you have a scooter or a car? Or are you relying on public transportation?

If you have a scooter of car how far are you comfortable traveling?

What sort of hobbies did you participate in at home?

Currently I rely on public transportation and You Bike, which is not always convenient in Kaohsiung.

I practice the violin, watch movies, read a lot, and probably spend too much time online at home, beside running errands, working out, and visiting family.

4 Likes

Ok you are in the south. Would you be interested in buying a scooter eventually?

I ask these question as they make it easier to recommend activities.

Do you enjoy swimming? Since you are in the south and the heat and humidity are higher their. You are not far from some world class shore based snorkeling and diving spots. You would just need a scooter.

Other than that you have many hiking and river tracing options near by.

You could join a club dedicated to your interests. Many foreigners live near you so should be plenty of options.

1 Like

I lived in Taiwan for about 20 years, 1993 to 2013. Went back to Canada for seven months and could bear neither the cold nor the valueless Canadian dollar (and outrageous cost of everything). So, moved to Cambodia.

Here, I worked four years teaching literature, history and sociology at a local charity university. I have worked part-time, teaching online.

As for retirement activity… On the beach, I like to hang a hammock under the tree shade and swim in the sea. No crowds, especially during the last few years. Also, before COVID, I took some wonderful summertime cycle-camping holidays, – each trip two months long – to Laos, 2015, Nepal-India-Laddakh, 2016, South Korea,2017, Sri Lanka, 2018 and the islands of Bali, Lombok, Sumbawa, Flores and West Timor in Indonesia, 2019… Returned to Laos late December 2019 to early February 2020, motorcycle camping, just before COVID shut everything down…

Otherwise, I read and write a lot… I have taught some neighborhood kids English for free as COVID faded here before the rest of Asia. I am looking forward to more cycle trips in the coming years, perhaps to Madagascar and Africa and South America. I will write more books, too…

I can’t imagine retirement in Taiwan, but if I were you, I’d live in the mountains to enjoy the cool, and the great cycling and motorcycling – up from the east coast to Lishan… Lots of shade on those old roads.
I miss my good ol’ 150 NSR, sigh…

Enjoy your music and find a place to go hiking out of the city… The alpine wonders of Taiwan are not to be missed!

7 Likes

You look to be filling your day with the right amount of things (and time).
Online could also be a form of reading. I’m online quite a bit, but it’s mostly for my part-time “retired” job and for reading various topical websites/blogs.

The only thing to maybe ask is has your wife (guessing Taiwanese) ever complained you have too much time? And if so, what does she do to fill her time?
I have heard that Taiwanese guys worry about retiring too early, because their Taiwanese wives will just continually nag them about “wasting” money doing something, using up their savings, yada yada yada.

2 Likes

I had that feeling for exactly one day after an intense 25 years of international life, living and work …
Then I extended my daily biking, bought some old Jaguars over the years, picked up some other lingering hobbies, and am busy ever since…
I wake up 5, have my morning coffee, after that I don’t sit still till I roll into bed.
My father had his retirement all perfectly planned, only to be interrupted by an untreatable cancer … at his funeral, I promised myself to retire before 50, which I did …
IF YOU CAN, DO IT!

6 Likes

@quandary, how’s adjusting to early retirement going?

1 Like