Earthquake 2009

I heard McCoy pissed himself on that last one…

I need a good spanking.

QUAKE! QUAKE!
(or someone dropped a guai-shou in my front garden).

4.2 mag 8.6km NW of Hualien. That’s almost right under my house then :bow:.

Some shaking going on - anyone feel that?

Yeah, I did! I was just checking to see if anyone else did.

I thought maybe it was a low-blood sugar dizziness at first. Still no update at CWB site, don’t know where it was.

Yup, set my building off a-swayin’

Ah, 5.5 off the coast from Hualian. Surprised I felt it all the way here.

So I’m on the 11th floor of a 14 story apartment building. My instinct is, in the event of an intense or moderately-intense earthquake, to run like hell down the stairwell and try to get out of there before the aftershock hits. It doesn’t seem to me like standing in a corner or under a desk is the wise thing to do. Am I stupid to have this as an emergency plan?

I find running down stairs a dicey affair, adding in panic and a moving staircase and I don’t know, you may want to come up with a plan B…

Generally, the worst floors to be on are the bottom ones (since they are the ones most likely to collapse under the weight) so running to the bottom isn’t very smart, and like the previous poster noted, navigating the staircase makes things doublely dicey. Following that, the top floors are most in danger since those are the ones likely to ‘snap’ and tip over. 11th floor out of fourteen might put you in that range… not sure. Maybe try to see if an apartment opens up on the 6th or 7th floor. :wink:

A just got an essay from a student about a little girl running outside during 911 and not making it. The writer’s conclusion was you should never go outside during an earthquake. I guess there are so many variables, and every situation is different, we all have to come up with our own plan (with past experience no doubt contributing, as in my student’s case). The strength, duration, and type of earthquake can throw even the best laid out plans for a loop. Luck plays a role, too, I suppose. I always look for places I would take the students that are away from glass. I try to figure out where the support beams are in rooms as well. (often in corners - figure that… )

damnit.

I was in Hualien last night, and normally wait in eager anticipation for a large one, but I felt nothing last night as we had crashed by 11 after a long bike ride up into Taroko and more than a few beers, so I felt nothing.

edit: it was 11:44 AM not PM, which means I missed it by virtue of being in cab at the time. And I thought he was just a bad driver…

Still rockin!

Did u just feel that one?

Just felt a nice one in Hualien moments ago. I’m going to go ahead and guess: 4.3

that was a 5.5 or so 30 km NNE of hualien.

Today, Hualien has had four earthquakes over 4.2 and the last one at 5.5. big day for Hualien!

Hope you’re all OK, that was a pretty big one.

5.5? Boy I was pretty far off.

Obviously I’m bad at this game.

cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm takes away the guess work. if there was a recent quake, the left hand menu bar will have a highlighted earthquake report indicator.

generally, if you feel a low intensity quake for a long time, that means it was really big somewhere else. duration is fairly well correlated with intensity, though not always.

edit: OK, now they say 5.6 instead of 5.5. still healthy enough. pity all the sea-sick people in Hualien scraping all the slopped food and smashed glass jars off the floor of the shops.

I think I just felt another jiggle - the second one in half an hour