Earthquakes -- 2013

[quote=“k.k.”]My cat was sitting comfortably with me on the couch, then reared up and got all freaked out about 30 sec before the quake just hit. Animals are cool.
I felt a quick jolt, but things calmed down quick. It was only a 4.8.[/quote]

My dogs are way slower … it needs some serious shaking before they start barking …

my two persians never noticed a thing unless its shaking badly.

I usually feel them, but I guess I was too involved with cooking this afternoon to notice, or I may have been in the elevator heading for the basement to toss some trash. I feel left out!

I just felt a small tremor.

I felt that one just now. Heard it before I felt it, oddly enough.

Slept right through it.

Quite strong (5.5) but extremely deep (over 100km down) and off the Yilan coast.

What are you guys doing up and around at 3am?! Or was it that strong that woke you up? The second case I’d be quite worried I’d slept through it.

I had the big flood lights on and was playing ball with my dogs in the yard…and drinking a beer…and listening to The Brew 104.9fm via the iHeart radio app on my Ipad. Nice not having neighbors. Also, the weather has really been cooperating. I mean…come on…it’s January 21st and I’m out in the yard playing ball in a t-shirt, sweatpants and flip flops! Got to enjoy it while I’ve got it! :sunglasses:

Yep, at least you had your clothes on! :roflmao:

BTW, happy to hear doggies are active and playful.

I stay up late and wake up late.

right now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Felt like a 5 in Linkou

XinYi, i just felt a light shaking i think and i heard a “crack” sound from the building… nothing big though

yup, just felt a rumble myself in Shida!

I heard some rhythmic squeaking noise at a coffee shop… a bit like how a bed sounds when 2 people feels particularly fond of each other. However there were no beds anywhere near so I realized it was a quake…

I’m kind of bummed out, I missed this one. The only quake I felt since arriving in Tainan was the one (4.3?) about a month ago. I was on the 8th floor, it moved the chair I was sitting in. Chair+Wheels+Wood Floor= WEEEEE! haha

My iPhone APP doesn’t stop recently sending Earthquake info from the Santa Cruz Islands area. A huge number of + 6 and sometimes +8 magnitudes.
Such a high activity - even so far away - should create tension on other tectonic plates no? The 5.5 we had last week might be related or not?

Didn’t even know they had a tsunami killing a few

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 34458.html

Which earthquake app do you use ceevee? I might get it too.

[quote=“ceevee369”]My iPhone APP doesn’t stop recently sending Earthquake info from the Santa Cruz Islands area. A huge number of + 6 and sometimes +8 magnitudes.
Such a high activity - even so far away - should create tension on other tectonic plates no? The 5.5 we had last week might be related or not?

Didn’t even know they had a tsunami killing a few

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 34458.html[/quote]

Yep, you should expect several strong aftershocks after the Solomon Islands quake, just like the one some time ago in Hokkaido was related to the Big One in 2011. As I said before, studies have revealed that instead of “calming” down an area by releasing an extraordinary amount of energy, such quakes actually “destabilize” areas and activate other faults due to their power.

I find like an echo in the ol country and Taiwan, but we’re all sitting around the Circle of Fire, so it figures.

the App is called “Quakes” and pretty fast to report tremors. not so fancy but OK

But the flow of Santa Cruz info came from my subscription on earthquake-report.com
just set which minimum magnitude you want to be informed of and you got all direct info through email

Icon - looking at your typing, stop the booz or get a new keyboard :slight_smile: