Earthquakes 2021

Mild shaking in taipei.

1 Like

1 Like

A couple of small ones out east of Yilan.

4.1 at 13:00 - 15.9km ENE of Yilan.
3.7 at 13:02 - 13.9km ENE of Yilan.

I felt one - dont know which.

Unlike in Shenzen where a tall building got the wobbles yesterday, all evacuated, thinking Earthquake, but not. Not recorded how many were brave enough to return though.

3 Likes

I knew I wasn’t dreaming.
Woke up right around 4 last night to light swaying.

Looks like multiple small quakes all morning.

Wonder if a larger one is coming.

Between a huge COVID outbreak, and China threatening to invade us, a large earthquake would just make the perfect trifecta to this shit sundae.

4 Likes

I dreamt of an earthquake last night and the government overwhelmed with cases in hospitals from the earthquake victims and the Covid rising cases, terrible sight. My heart sinked when I saw this thread popped up here just now.

1 Like

If you see three new posts in the Earthquake thread, then you know there was something minor somewhere, likely near the east coast (because that is how they roll there).

If you see 60+ new posts, then it’s likely that all hell has broken loose somewhere.

Take care everyone!

Guy

2 Likes

And if there aren’t any new posts yet, you may still have the chance to be first to report with an “UH OH!!!” or something like that. (Something I have definitely done.)

1 Like

They’re probably looking at the current situation (covid outbreak, drought*, power outages, heatwaves, earthquakes) and thinking “reunification” can wait!

*edit: i see a typhoon might be coming, it is so bad here we’re praying for that devastating storm to hit!

4 Likes

Did you feel the one at 02:04 yesterday morning?
For some reason CWB have listed it as it was felt as a M1 in Taiwan.
A tad far away, 2247.2 WNW of Kinmen even - BUT 7.3 at its epicentre, so the PRC got a shakeup.

BTW lots of destruction in Qinghai, China from a devastating quake. “No deaths” they say, though.

1 Like

Entirely possible, I’ve travelled there. Very sparsely populated, not heavily developed, and the traditional architecture is earthquake-resistant.
http://www.uia2017seoul.org/P/papers/Full_paper/Paper/Oral/PS3-22/O-0184.pdf

Well, I look at fallen highways and destroyed homes and go hmmmm.

1 Like

That’s because its now prohibited to mention deaths caused by Tofu Bridges and Buildings collapsing.

2 Likes

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc73566711/executive

Series of Earthquakes right in the middle of Lake Tahoe, 2km depth. Seems like a new thing, I think?

I think most people in Taiwan didn’t feel anything.

5 Likes

I definitely feel something in Kaohsiung right now.

Take your hand out of your pocket.

1 Like

What pocket?

Saucy!