Earthquakes 2021

Seems every quake originate either from Yilan or Hualien.

Sure any foreigner want to move there?

I would because many are already there. But not much to do there except open a business or work as a teacher. I am sure with time people get used to shakiness

No. I think a big one (above 6) will strike there in the next 5 years.

I hope it will be after China invades Taiwan :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

never

1 Like

Just don’t get into collecting expensive antiques, figurinesxetc.

I am really ready concerned about my bookcases. While the old place seems able to withstand anything under 8 points, during a few strong ones the bookcases have wobbled, making me fear that me/my cats will end up squashed like bugs.

And my chandeliers do not make me feel much better, either.

If you’re planning on sticking around in that flat, I’d advise you to consider hiring someone to secure the bookshelves to the walls. And if applicable, get rid of any glass in that area!

Guy

1 Like

Oh, they all have glass doors, which makes this even more unnerving.

Can’t make holes on the wall. Even if I tried…and we’ve tried. I’d like to get the Japanese style ceiling clamps. Alas, se can’t go to Japan yet.

I need repacking/giving books away.

Time to go read Marie Kondo’s book?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve tried that with clothes. Made some inroads.

Appliances and stuff, easy.

Books? Hard to let go. Even though in this frigging humidity my Star Trek books have started to disintegrate. Sigh.

Books don’t really break, a ‘Hummel’ collection on the other hand or fancy porcelain, well, that breaks.

:thinking:

Best I can do is action figures and airplane models.

They are just slowly beaming up :flying_saucer:

3 Likes

Nothing tape can’t handle!

The handyman’s secret weapon. Duct tape.

If the women don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

1 Like

One thing you should never do during an earthquake is run outside.

I mean I don’t know about building collapse but if it was built to code it should not collapse. But you have a much higher chance of serious injury or death by going outside, because there are all sorts of things that will fall on you, from signs to window pane that would surely kill you.

In particular low buildings probably has a lower risk of collapse than high rises… as their low weight means less to shake around. But if it was a brick structure it’s different as unreinforced masonry is the most prone to collapse during an earthquake.

Yep, in the old country we can run outside and find plenty of room. Even in the middle of the city, we do not have the squash hazards as here.

And washroom tiles. :rofl:

2 Likes