Earthquakes 2021

I feel left out. I didn’t know about it up here on the north coast. Perhaps I was driving on my way to 7-11 for a late night snack when it happened.

1 Like

What is the point of the warning? In your hour of crisis you get a text?

How much earlier would you like to be warned, and how would you suggest that be achieved?

AFAIK, all existing warning systems rely on detecting the earthquake when it’s actually happening, and Japan is a lot longer and wider than Taiwan (the time needed for S waves to travel between Yilan and Taipei, say, seems to be around 7-8 seconds, which doesn’t leave much scope for advance warning). You could argue that it might be useful to have more sensors, especially ocean floor sensors off the east coast, but there’s a limit as to how much warning can reasonably be achieved.

1 Like

the alerts are tired of the alerts

1 Like

Well the sooner the better obviously.

When I was living in Japan a few years ago there was a warning system in my house which counted down from 20 seconds until the earthquake started.

Never have I had that early a warning once in Taiwan. I don’t really know the logistics behind it though, perhaps it’s impossible.

That sounds impressive. Aren’t the earthquakes in Japan often more intense though? And again, Japan is a fair bit bigger so presumably has a larger network of land-based sensors to provide the advance warning.

1 Like

You’ve acclimated well, if that’s worth getting in a car for… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Last year there was a big quake in taipei (the one where the roads apparently split and a couple buildings tilted over). The warning came about 4-5 seconds before the shaking started and it was fairly large. It gave me enough time get to the front door (i was on first floor) by the time the horizontal shaking started and out the door by the time the vertical wave hit.

Almost knocked off my feet by the vertical wave to be honest, but yeah. I appreciated the warning.

3 Likes

And if you are on the 17th floor it gives you time to open the window and jump

With your parachute of course

It might be but maybe not from seven

Where it may have been made 7 to 11 days ago

Oh wait north coast that explains it
There probably ain’t anywhere else to get anything to eat

Ah my dear Tommy you need to come home, you’ll be amazed.

There is healthy food now at convenience stores.

4 Likes

I was actually more worried about his health. Don’t eat that stuff late at night!

Guy

1 Like

Didnt notice it i’m too tired taking care my brother little girl.

2 Likes

Clarification by the CWB on why there were no alerts for the happy trampoline time last night:

The alerts are guided by 2 sets of readings, where the first is magnitute and second specifically magnitude of when it hits land in TW. Last night the magnitude was above 5 but the way it ‘felt’ didn’t exceed a 4, so no alerts were triggered.

I’m in yilan. The bed felt like it was swaying slightly, but not by much. Felt like the rocking when you get up from bed. I went online to earthquake detectors to see if anything reported. Nothing.

Thought I was imagining it. Wasn’t until 20-30 minutes later they they appeared on the websites.

I’d still prefer a text.

Wasn’t that shown to be fake?

If you’re inside when an earthquake strikes stay inside, if you’re outside stay outside, as far from buildings and things which could fall on you as possible. Racing to get outside just adds to whatever potential danger existed.

1 Like

The road yes, the building…not so, but they did not evacuate nor demolished it.

3 Likes

Whelp, my wife and I have our earthquake emergency backpack ready now. Hopefully, there will be no need to use it.

If this phenomenon could somehow be harnessed, or at the very least looked out for and the public notified if it were to happen in a time like this in which a quick succession of 5+ magnitude quakes could very well be precursors to a Big One…

…it could be an excellent asset to public health.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/09/06/caught-on-radar-thousands-of-birds-took-flight-minutes-before-an-okla-earthquake/