Earthquakes 2023

Taiwans 921 earthquake of 1999 at 7.7 magnitude was the strongest of the year and killed 2415 people

It came after the second strongest quake of the year at 7.6 taking place in turkey in august 17 which killed the most people at 17118

Hoping no connection geologically speaking

3 Likes

Everyone should get their bags ready, just in case

2 Likes

There was one just now in Taipei, no?

Seems so, 4.4 at 6.8km E of Yilan at 05:48

1 Like

Wow, somehow a 1 managed to wake me up, five minutes before I wanted to be woken up

I didn’t feel it, but saw your post and looked at the CWB.

Yeah it’s like when your top tooth has a cavity but your bottom tooth hurts

Wifey is in gili islands off Lombok currently. she does whatever the flying F she wants to do and I only hear about it after and marveling what a nice simple beach resort so chic and only 45 a night

I had no idea she was even going to go to the gili islands she only mentioned Lombok

No control tommy has no control
Anyway, I said what oh you’re there that is the scene of a panic back in 2018 when Lompoc had that major quake and many parts of it was heavily damaged and quite a few people died. I think it was I don’t know five or 600 people I forget. the gili islands had seven or eight people die but most of the buildings were destroyed, and there was panic because the islands are super low. There’s only a small elevation above the ocean, and people were in fear of tsunami’s coming, and everybody was struggling to try to get on boats to be evacuated from the islands. Those Gili islands !! The Indonesian govt has been trying to
Get the tourists back

Well hopefully all will remain well

The scenes of the devastation and destruction in turkey are mind-boggling and extremely extremely sad. Beyond horrific

There are some amazing saves though and that is just so wonderful to see how some people who defy the odds have been rescued is just a miracle

2 Likes

There is a Volcano - Mt Rinjani - on Lombok that erupted a few years ago.

1 Like

Horrific. Toll keeps climbing… nearly 10,000 dead.

2 Likes

Holy sh&t! :astonished:

Guy

felt it in Sanxia

Felt in taipei

Then it’s true I felt something. 2nd floor in Tamsui.

And still the garbage truck music plays on.

Love you, Taiwan!

Guy

1 Like

I felt it. No one else in my house did.

Just felt it a little more than the one this morning, My guess is Yilan and 4, or further south and higher.

5.2 Hualien

1 Like

PWS Message in the CWB Web page:

Issued
2023/02/08 18:50:13
Content
[地震速報 Earthquake Alert]02/08 18:50左右花東地區發生顯著有感地震,慎防強烈搖晃,就近避難「趴下、掩護、穩住」,氣象局。Felt earthquake alert. Keep calm and seek cover nearby. CWB
Area
Hualien County

1 Like

From the CWB website:

02/08 18:49 NEW

No. 008 Largest Intensity 4
Details:

Guy

1 Like

I know different plates, but couldn’t help but wonder if the Turkey quake would set of other big ones around the globe.

1 Like