Earthquakes 2024

Another one. Countryside of Hualien. Alert.

4 Likes

marasan considering his life choices in the last 48 hours right now :grin:

Take care!

3 Likes

Ha! It’s tombsweeping. Duties finished and bored to death. Well, maybe not to death! Not drinking. And there is a huge 1.75 liter bottle of decent 12 year Kirkland whisky close by. Lots going on in my mind right now. I wish I had a fat joint.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Does anyone know how they sense it? Dogs and birds too…

1 Like

Do they do this before normal sized earthquake? I felt like I could feel the earthquake about 4 seconds before it started because there was an up down movement.

Yeah nah, you just felt the actual earthquake, it started with a bit of up and down then switched to some swirly swirly action.

1 Like

was that another one?

1 Like

Yeh? If the expert didn’t specify the yield of the atomic bomb he was using as a reference, then he’s an expert in the art of the meaningless statement.

Hiroshima might be the default reference standard, I suppose.

If anyone wants to donate anything, this seems like a legit fundraising campaign (legit charity authorized by Ministry of Health and Welfare).

Press release - 0403花蓮強震 全台同心 行政院協調賑災基金會啟動重災捐款 - 財團法人賑災基金會
Online platform for donations - 重大災害救援 - 0403 花蓮震災募款專案 | WaBay 挖貝 | 台灣最值得信賴的群眾集資 / 群眾募資平台

2 Likes

I reckon some of them might sense disturbances in the magnetosphere.

I noticed “the dog that didn’t bark” here in Tainan, because a neighbour has a (neglected I suppose) dog thats shut up in the house a lot and barks all the bloody time, but was silent while the houses were shimmying, which they did for what seemed a longer time than previous quakes. (I wasn’t here for “The Big One”).

I guess it was scared into silence.

1 Like

An M7 eq translates to about 2.1 x 10^15 joules, which is ~500 kilotons of tnt.

You’re looking at 32 15 Kt warheads, at the very least.

1 Like

As I said, the yield wasn’t specified, though I suppose this might have been in the original Chinese, and thus just a lost in translation thing rather than a totally meaningless thing.

Hiroshima is said to have been between 12 and 18 Kt, so taking it as 15Kt, that would be about about right as the unstated reference standard.

1 Like

Do you remember this, from 2021?

7 Likes

That was brutal. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

2 Likes

I sure remember. We discussed this several times the last few days.

1 Like

2 more found dead.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

We would be talking about hundreds, if not more, of deaths if the earthquake happened during the long weekend.

6 Likes