Earthquakes 2024

Opening 2024 in Japan, dear god not again. Region affected: Ishikawa, Niigata and Toyama on the Sea of Japan side.

https://www.reuters.com/world/japan/magnitude-74-earthquake-strikes-japan-tsunami-warning-issued-2024-01-01/

Guy

2 Likes

From the Guardian (no paywall):

Japan operates some significant nuclear reactors along the coast there . . . I hope this is not a repeat of 2011. :grimacing:

Guy

3 Likes

I was there! Well, in Myoko, Niigata which is less than 100 km away.

Exciting this far from the epicenter but little damage. Far worse to have been 50 km closer.

Expressways, rail and airports all closed until this morning for safety checks.

Tsunami warnings downgraded to advisories as most ended up being 30-40 cm

I’m at 700 maters so would need to be a much bigger tsunami to get me.

Now if it would only snow the ski holiday would be complete.

4 Likes

It looks, at least so far, that this could have been much worse.

From that Reuters article, accessed via Radio New Zealand:

The quake comes at a sensitive time for Japan’s nuclear industry, which has faced fierce opposition from some locals since the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that triggered nuclear meltdowns in Fukushima. Whole towns were devastated in that disaster.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority said no irregularities were found at nuclear plants along the Sea of Japan, including five active reactors at Kansai Electric Power’s Ohi and Takahama plants in Fukui Prefecture.

Hokuriku Electric’s Shika plant, the closest to the epicentre, had already halted its two reactors before the quake for regular inspections and saw no impact from the quake, the agency said.

“The Nuclear Regulation Authority said no irregularities were found”—I hope these guys are being honest this time.

Additional discussion in this dedicated thread:

Guy

2 Likes

Truly terrible but it seems Japan has learned lessons since its last much larger earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

Ironically enough, my wife pointed out “earthquake clouds” in the sky the evening before this happened on NYE. Naturally I assume this is a bunch of balderdash, but where does this belief come from? Now she’s taking the quake in Japan as proof of that belief (even though it happened thousands of kilometers away from us).

2 Likes

~ 4.5 east coast, Guangfu

https://www.cwa.gov.tw/V8/E/E/EQ/EQ113000-0103-094333.html

1 Like

Hey, now. Mild shaking in Banqiao.

1 Like

LONG SHAKE felt in Taipei

2 Likes

Yup, felt that in Wanhua

1 Like

Looong shake but mild in Taichung

1 Like

Just as I was falling back to sleep (Taipei)

1 Like

Felt it in Neihu, it woke me.

2 Likes

Deleted erroneous report. Apologies!!!

Certainly felt bigger than the initial numbers are reporting

1 Like

CWA now has 5.2 at 5km depth.
Your link was quake on the 28th.

1 Like

Sorry about that. I’ll delete it.

2 Likes

Slept right through it.