Earworms (Songs That Get stuck in Your Head)

Missing You by Everything But The Girl.
Luckily, it’s one of my favorite songs of all time. I heard it played at a Hilife convenience store just a couple of days ago. I was really surprised that song made it into, say, such an ‘unsophisticated’ location.

Most hated tune that gets into my head?
The Carrefour jingle. After 10 minutes inside the store, the song makes me want to run out straightaway. Not a song to encourage higher sales, I tell you.

This week it’s a children’s song

I love the mountains, I love the rolling hills
I love the flowers, I love the daffodils
I love the fireside when all the lights are low
Koombi-ah Koombi-ah Koombi-ah Koombi-ay…

Pete Townshend’s “Give blood”

Been rattling around my head for the last week now…

A buddy of mine said that has had Frank Sinatra’s Strangers In the Night stuck in his head for about five years now. It’s not the whole song though, just the “shoo-be do-be doo” part of it, always active in the background of his consciousness.
I tried to help him chase out the “earworm” with some other annoying music, and finally had some success with Xavier Cugat’s My Madelena (sha la la-la la-la). He said It chased away Frank for a couple of weeks, but that in some ways the treatment was worse than the original problem.

Mandy, by Barry Manilow

Rocket Man, by Elton John

?, by Red Hot Chili Peppers

while i sauntered around Taipei during my trip in March these songs kept coming to me. It wasn’t only stuck in my head though, I’d sing the lyrics I knew out loud over and over.

Then when my friends invited my to KTV, what songs do you think I picked? you got it.

i wanted to know all the lyrics so i could keep singing them.

now back in the US those 3 songs take me back to my trip.

Oh Mandy, well you came and you gave without taking, but i sent you away oh Mandy
and you kissed me and stopped me from shakin’ and i need you today oh Mandy…

I’m a rocket man, rocket man burnin’ out his fuse up here alone,
and i think its gonna be a long long time till touchdown brings me round again to find im not the man they think i am at home.
oh no no no, im a rocket man.
and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time, and i think its gonna be a long long time…

jm

1 Like

Jintian, mingtian, houtian, dahoutian,
tiantian dou pianyi!
Tiantian dou pianyi!
Jiu shi Jialefu!

“The Concept” by Teenage Fanclub (cheers Iris for helping me work out what it was)… Lord knows how it got there, but I’m glad it is… because of that I’ve just been on a downloading journey getting similar stuff I had not heard for years… :rainbow:

These stick in my head all too often, and I really hate to think what say about me:

Don’t stop believin’ by Journey (not just parts, the whole damn song!)

Sister Christian by Night Ranger

Milk tea milk tea milk tea, milk tea milk tea milk tea man!

The TVBS news theme

I’ve been OBSESSED with The Fall since I was 12 or 13. They are very prolific so I’ll put away an album for a few years and it will then come back to me with different meaning when I rediscover it. (Rather like Frank Zappa or Patti Smith or my childhood obssession; The Wedding Present).

‘English Scheme’ because it’s silly. ‘Through poky quaint streets in Cambridge, cycles our distant spastic heritage’ ‘He’s the creep creep in us all’ 'If we were smart, we’d emigrate"

Hotel Bloedel; one of the ‘Brix’ songs. ‘Repetitious HIstoryyyy’

The guitar from ‘Middle Mass’; you know whay I mean, if you’ve ever heard it. ‘The boy is like a tape loop. And he has soft mitts. He’s the last domain of a very very back room brain.’

Others… ‘Streets are uneven, when you’re down’ "If Irene turns her back on me, I’m gonna take morphiiiiine and die’ ‘Ay, Mareike, Mareike, je t’aimais tant’ ‘D’you want to go to the seaside?’ ‘I don’t wanna kill my china pig’ ‘some velvet morning, when I’m straight’ ‘Can we call it a day? now would that be ok? Can we just go our own seperate ways? Cos I’m cold and I’m wet and I’m willing to bet that you have planned it this way.’ ‘เขาไม่ได้หลอกเรากินหลอกเรานั่นหลอกตัวอง…oi!’ ‘Man, I swear I’d give the whole thing up for you…’ "the palm trees fall into the sea, it doesn’t matter much to me, as log as you’re safe, Kimberley’ ‘Shiver and say the words of every lie you’ve heard’ ‘If it’s time for recompense for what’s done- come, sit down on the fence in the sun’ ‘Cute- in a stupid ass way’ ‘I don’t care where you’ve been and what you plan to doooo.’ ‘當花瓣離開花朵,暗香殘留’ ‘woke up in the fireplace, slept like a log’ ‘One more cup of coffee before I go to the valley below’ ‘Cos I hate my life and I want you to die, Queen Mother of the junkies, YOU deserved to die’ ‘it’s my favourite shot of you, you looked so pretty, your eyes were true. I’m still on your side in spite of everything you do.’ ‘So many things I could have done, but for the CLOUDS’ ‘You’re so completely stupid, just go away, there’s no home for you here girl, go away’ ‘I’m just gonna let you pass’ ‘I used to care but - things have changed’ ‘And no matter how it ends, you should always keep in touch with your friends’ ‘People like you find it easy’ ‘I love you Sugar Kane, come in from the rain’

GOODNIGHT IRENE!

(It’s quarter to 3. I have to be up in 4-5 hours to meet someone who wants to do some work for me. I’m COMPLETELY HAMMERED. I don’t have a chance of even getting sober let alone not having a hangover. Doesn’t that sound like fun?)

P.S. Brits. Do you remember this? The ‘Jerusalem’ of the 80’s.

‘Hold a chicken in the air, stick a deck-chair up your nose
Buy a Jumbo-Jet, and then bury all your clothes
Paint your left knee green, then extract your wisdom teeth
Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith.’

(to the tune of ‘Agadoo’)

What song you got in your head just now? :laughing:

HG

What’s the theme tune to PAIN?

Commiserations, how about . . .

I want to be straight, I want to be straight
I’m sick and tired of taking drugs and staying up late.
I wanna confirm, I wanna conform
I wanna be safe and I wanna be snug and I wanna be warm

I want to be straight, I want to be straight
I wanna create a place of my own in the welfare state
Brr, gonna be good, brr, gonna be kind
It might be a wrench but think of the stench I’m leaving behind

:laughing:

HG

:slight_smile: Tried to write a witty, intresting response then noticed I’d only put make up on one eye. It’s not going to be a good day…

Water, LOTS of it. :laughing:

HG

I kept my mouth open while crouching in the shower for 20 mins…

Crikey! No!!! Not the tap water!!!

HG

What, I might have poisoned myself? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You better be coming to the Happy Hour next Thursday, Buttercup. You just better be.

Can’t because I can never drink any alcohol at all ever again in fact no other liquids other than pure mountain dew from Norway because my liver will explode and pour out my nose.

Cheers Buttercup,

since I read this I now have “What’s a computer? Eat y’self Fitter!” rolling around my cranium.

Regards,

Oswald Defence Lawyer