East Coast Highway Effected by Typhoon?

Howdy…I’m about to embark on a weeks safari down South…just wondering if I’m headed for any major headaches due to typhoon damage…does anyone know if the Hualien/Taidong coastal road is ok? I plan to camp at places like Toroko Gorge, Shitiping, Red Leaves village, Juishui, and Chinpen hotsprings near Taidong…if anyone knows the state of the road, or the above-mentioned places, your help would ne most cherished…
Shot!

[quote=“jamesmiller”]Howdy…I’m about to embark on a weeks safari down South…just wondering if I’m headed for any major headaches due to typhoon damage…does anyone know if the Hualian/Taidong coastal road is ok? I plan to camp at places like Toroko Gorge, Shitiping, Red Leaves village, Juishui, and Chinpen hotsprings near Taidong…if anyone knows the state of the road, or the above-mentioned places, your help would ne most cherished…
Shot![/quote]

The Suao gong lou (Suao-Hualien) is closed…They had originally planned to open tomorrow after 5pm, but the road is in a bad state, and I’d confirm that before going down. They had over a meter of rain last weekend.

Ya its funny how we got something like 7 inches of rain in the bay area yesterday and its the “worst october storm in 47 years” for us. And you guys get a METER of rain in a few days over there.

Whats worse I read somewhere that climate change is expected to perhaps increase over-all rainfall in taiwan by up to 3 times !!!

AT least there wont be any droughts, but a whole lot of landslides, etc.

Things will have to be built where it is safe.

[quote=“jamesmiller”]Howdy…I’m about to embark on a weeks safari down South…just wondering if I’m headed for any major headaches due to typhoon damage…does anyone know if the Hualian/Taidong coastal road is ok? I plan to camp at places like Toroko Gorge, Shitiping, Red Leaves village, Juishui, and Chinpen hotsprings near Taidong…if anyone knows the state of the road, or the above-mentioned places, your help would ne most cherished…
Shot![/quote]

Chihpen and Red Leaf were hard hit by the typhoon in August.

[quote]Taitung Hungyeh Hot Spring Water Park temporarily closed due to Typhoon Morakot

The Beisian Stream flooded as Typhoon Morakot attacked Taiwan Aug. 8, resulting in mudslides’ devouring the Hungye Hot Spring Water Park in Taitung. Thus the park is closed for the moment, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Should questions arise, please contact the Luye Management Station under the Administration by phone (+886-8-9551637#202).[/quote]

Don’t know about Zhihben but I doubt it would be worth visiting.

I was in Toroko last week, during the rains. The HeLiu campsite was open but empty
ALL the trails in Toroko were closed, except for a short one near the campsite.

Highway 9 from Hualian to Taidong was clear and open. There wasn’t much rain there and things were fairly quiet. I only saw some small sections Highway 11 south of Hualian and that didn’t seem affected.

Any update on this two weeks later? Especially the Su-Hua Highway?