Easy rides out of (but still near) Taipei City--Suggestions?

I’m a city biker, but am looking to get out of the congestion and ride around the outskirts of Taipei. The routes many of you have posted seem to to “challenging”, and frankly, I’m just looking for something leisurely to do on my off days. Are most of the streets outside of Taipei City uphill?

Can anyone suggest a ride that is moderate and somewhat flat? Or, am I stuck riding around YongHe and NeiHu? :pray:

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]I’m a city biker, but am looking to get out of the congestion and ride around the outskirts of Taipei. The routes many of you have posted seem to to “challenging”, and frankly, I’m just looking for something leisurely to do on my off days. Are most of the streets outside of Taipei City uphill?

Can anyone suggest a ride that is moderate and somewhat flat? Or, am I stuck riding around YongHe and NeiHu? :pray:[/quote]
One word. Riverside bike paths.

bit difficult since taipei has mountains on all three sides, have you considered hopping on a train? Just use plastic bin liners and you can salvage a strap (with clips at both ends) from another bag to make it easier to carry then go to east coast along the inland highway to whereever you want and take train back?

Or bus up to Wulai, fall back?

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“ichbinjenny”]I’m a city biker, but am looking to get out of the congestion and ride around the outskirts of Taipei. The routes many of you have posted seem to to “challenging”, and frankly, I’m just looking for something leisurely to do on my off days. Are most of the streets outside of Taipei City uphill?

Can anyone suggest a ride that is moderate and somewhat flat? Or, am I stuck riding around Yonghe and NeiHu? :pray:[/quote]
One word. Riverside bike paths.[/quote]

Been there, done that. Those bike paths are worse than the city streets. That, and I can only look at the water on one side and a giant cement wall on the other for so long.

[quote=“itakitez”]bit difficult since taipei has mountains on all three sides, have you considered hopping on a train? Just use plastic bin liners and you can salvage a strap (with clips at both ends) from another bag to make it easier to carry then go to east coast along the inland highway to whereever you want and take train back?

Or bus up to Wulai, fall back?[/quote]

That is an idea; thanks, itakitez. I was hoping to stay in the area, though. I figure I’ll just ride around on my bike until it becomes too much of an ‘uphill battle’. :+)

[quote=“ichbinjenny”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“ichbinjenny”]I’m a city biker, but am looking to get out of the congestion and ride around the outskirts of Taipei. The routes many of you have posted seem to to “challenging”, and frankly, I’m just looking for something leisurely to do on my off days. Are most of the streets outside of Taipei City uphill?

Can anyone suggest a ride that is moderate and somewhat flat? Or, am I stuck riding around Yonghe and NeiHu? :pray:[/quote]
One word. Riverside bike paths.[/quote]

Been there, done that. Those bike paths are worse than the city streets. That, and I can only look at the water on one side and a giant cement wall on the other for so long.[/quote]
That bad? I’ve only seen the ones down my way and they’re pretty nice. Never been up past Jingmei, though.
Other than that, most of the roads outside the city, while some – especially if you take the MRT to the end of the line at Xindian – are incredibly pretty and often dead quiet during most of the week, I’m afraid there’s a good bit of climbing involved.
I think the bus idea is probably your best bet.

From Gonguan on to Dataocheng it’s as described: a big wall on one side, flat grass on the other.

It is prettier at the ends: Danshui and Xindian. They tell me the Panchiao one is complicated. Neihu path should be nice. Dunno about the Sanchong side.

I know what you mean. The paths on the eastern bank of the Xindian are better - I never ride on the Yonghe side - but still, there aren’t many trees (it does get prettier towards Xindian). Dodging people can also be a hassle. How far do you want to ride? 10, 20, 30km? Perhaps you need to catch public transport somewhere.

The bike paths aren’t that bad. But, after a week of dodging taxis and pedestrians, the last thing I want to do is bike on the weekend amongst hoardes of weekend bike riders (who swerve about and ride at a snail’s pace).

Admittedly, there have been a few early Sunday mornings where the paths were near empty, but again, I’m bored with the view.

I’m thinking of going over to Yonghe and then making my way out to Jingmei, or as far out as I can.

I know what you mean. The paths on the eastern bank of the Xindian are better - I never ride on the Yonghe side - but still, there aren’t many trees (it does get prettier towards Xindian). Dodging people can also be a hassle. How far do you want to ride? 10, 20, 30km? Perhaps you need to catch public transport somewhere.[/quote]

30km sounds good. I can manage a good couple hours of riding. Even going “town hopping” would be nice.

My (female) friend has asked me to organize a weekend bike trip. Not sure when yet, but I’ve currently suggested train on friday night or saturday morning to Taidong, then cycle to Hualian to stay overnight before continuing along to Yilan and train back

Any one have some good routes?
Or other suggestions?

Flat is good (but some climbing is ok) since she will ride a mountain bike with road wheel, she also has another friend who want to come along, which makes 3

Ichbinjenny - if you have a couple of friends who also want to go we can try and get a group going?