Eat taiwanese grape skin: yes or no?

The wife peels hers. Even after watching closely I don’t know exactly how this happens.

For me, life’s too short. I just eat it all, skin, pits, pulp.

1 Like

It’s like a bird peeling seeds, no hands!

Aren’t they poisonous?

If I recall correctly, peach seeds can be poisonous.

Edit:apparently apple and cherry seeds have some cyanide in them. Not enough to kill if you swallow one.

I think the seeds contain trace amounts of arsenic, probably not enough to hurt you though.

Edit - a quick search reveals it’s cyanide, but the fruit can contain arsenic as well

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~arsenicandyou/food/fruitsandvegetables.html

Arsenic would be a weird thing to occur naturally in fruit. But if there is local pollution, that’s a problem. Some places in Taiwan are known for having arsenic-contaminated groundwater if I remember

Yep, eat it.

The cyanide or the arsenic?

2 Likes

I think you have to eat a larger amount of apple seeds than is physically possible to consume in order to die of cyanide poisoning from them. You’d probably die from exploding your gut by filling it with apple seeds first.

1 Like

They absord more arsenic than most plants according to the article.

I thought it was Kaohsiung that had natural arsenic in the water.

Yeah some people get “black foot syndrome” down there as a result, or used to at least.

The cyanide is different as the plant actually synthesizes it, for whatever reason. It’s just carbon and nitrogen

@Explant probably can fill in all the details.

In this time of Covid, eating the whole thing is the way to go. Discarded partially chewed skins or seeds are a bio hazard.

Don’t crack them. They just pass through your digestive system.

Maybe we should also change the title to “Do you prefer your grapes circumcised or uncircumcised?”

1 Like

Bitter almonds, peaches and other pitted fruits contain cyanide in the pit. Not arsenic. As said, arsenic can occur naturally.

Everything on earth is just carbon based. Throw in some nitrogen, 78%.

Not arsenic. Arsenic is on earth

What a fun twist this has taken! Surely some.plants create their own toxic (to various creatures) creations.

Though as an aside Taiwan does naturally have a lot of various heavy metal and mineral contamination. It isn’t all factory based, the nature of the geography has a lot. Mining has exposed a lot as have other things such as earthquakes typhoons and landslides.

People would have a fun time reading about remediating soil and learning about bioaccumulation and how that all plays out. Certain plants are good at accumulating certain.thungs and in certain parts. Link this to what is present where a farm is and you could see potential issues. Learning about this.made me REALLY love fungi