Eating at 7-Eleven

Texas 7-Elevens have the best Slurpees. Very nutritious!

1 Like

I donā€™t really have an opinion on convenience store food in the UK, US, or South Africa, but this is a thread about convenience store food in Taiwan. The latter might even be relatively good compared to the former (to some peopleā€™s palates) but I think itā€™s a bit irrelevant - itā€™s still stuff like microwavable corn soup, so :face_vomiting:

I agree that theyā€™re brilliant for things like paying bills and collecting online purchases, but Iā€™m happy to leave the unappetizing-looking processed food options to locals and @MalcolmReynolds (here). :grin:

I canā€™t speak for the US, but what youā€™ve heard about convenience-store food in Britain is bang on. I always find it amusing to hear people say that 7-Eleven food in Taiwan is bad. Although I do agree that itā€™s not as good as the 7-Eleven food in Japan, which is really on another level.

Occasionally, a convenience store in the U.S. will have a pretty outstanding deli or taco stand in it, but generally the best you can hope for is a crappy roller dog. The one chain that seems to have ok-ish food is RaceTrack in the south east.

hot dogs? No offense but thatā€™s the only food in Taiwan I wouldnā€™t eat. I mean, where Iā€™m from hot dogs are made of all of the extra bits of the pig. The ears, tail, snout, etc. but in Taiwan, those are the main course. So makes you wonder, what do they put in the hot dogs???

Still at all the 7s near me.

The ciggies are good.

Buc-ee food in Texas is also good for a gas station. (They are much bigger though, the big ones have 80+ gas pumps)

Iā€™m not really sure you can classify Buc-ees as just a gas station.

1 Like

I just Googled that to see what it looked like. Iā€™d seen that before in the nukeable chow section, but I wasnā€™t sure what was in it. I guess Iā€™ll have to try that one.

I like the 7-Elevens here, including the food. Itā€™s plenty good enough for me.

I donā€™t know what convenience-store food is like in the US now, but the last time I was there (2001), in my experience it wasnā€™t anything to write home about.

None taken. :grin: Iā€™m not saying the hot dogs are high cuisine or anything, just that theyā€™re okay once a month and more appetizing in my opinion than most of the other offerings.

So maybe in Taiwan they use the nice bits of the pig? The bits that arenā€™t ear, snout, or tail? Thatā€™s what Iā€™m choosing to believe anyway. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m jealous. I used to eat that for breakfast

Hands down, the best premade meal I have tried in 711, and also one of the most scarce.

I occasionally take the effort to stop by multiple 7ā€™s until I find one where this is in stock.

10/10

2 Likes

Yes, it was great.
I use to love their GōngbĒŽo jÄ«dÄ«ng.
But as long as they have their breads, tea eggs and the frozen microwave spaghetti with meat sauce 7-Eleven is actually my life line for traveling Taiwan.
If you have a fish or seafood allergy, your only true options are the big fast-food restaurants (that have separate Fryers for fish) vegetarian, bring your own food or 7-Eleven.
Even asking a small restaurant to be careful while preparing your food can be risky. They donā€™t understand the significance of your problem.
Anyway, there were places I dared not travel to that I do now thanks to Seven.

Tell me that doesnā€™t look good and I will tell you it tastes worse than it looks.

Sauce or something to disguise The Taste is a requirement.

1 Like

those are easy to make at home by the way.
I find Fridayā€™s not appealing to begin with, let alone buy it at 711

Some years ago during a vacation trip to Taiwan, I was wandering some back streets in Kaohsiung looking for something to eat, and fortunately managed to find a Seven Eleven. (The only other nearby shops I could find were some hole-in-the-wall joints with indecipherable menus, no pictures, and elderly staff who looked like they spoke no English.) I got a braised chicken lunchbox. Not great, but not bad either. I also appreciated that the Seven Eleven provided a seating area where weary travelers such as myself could sit down and take a break.

Do they still sell that?

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if they still sell that same one but there is a huge selection maybe 20 or 30 different types.

They have that, like it. Price I think is higher now. When was the photo, price seems low.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation! The photo was from about 2.5 years ago, during the blissful summer before COVID struck.

1 Like