Eating dolphin in Taiwan

I know this is politcally incorrect, but over the weekend, on a trip to Taitung, I was unknowingly served fried dolphin at a small eatery by local friends, who told me, “Oh, you will love this seafood dish!”

So yes, when it was served, very aromatic and tastefully prepared, I thought, well it must be some kind of delicious seafood, let’s dig in. So I diggged in. delicious. yummy, as they say. spicy and seasoned but deliciuous.

Afterward, my “friends” told me i had just eaten dolphin, illegal as it is. They do serve it here I guess.

Now what I am to do? as a card carrying member of the Greens, i just ate a dolphin, although not on porpoise. Feeling bad, I said a prayer to the spirit of the dolphin I had just inadvertently eaten.

question is: what to do in this case. report the eatery to the local police?

Anyone else ever eat dolphin? Damn, it was very tasty, the way the grandma prepared it.

I vote for shopping them to the local police.

I vote for telling as many people as you can, if not the entire world THAT PEOPLE IN TAIWAN EAT DOLPHINS. At least give Peta a ring and they’ll do it for you.

Once the wheels get turning, the government will be embarrassed, crack down on it and post a message on their Web site about the horrible rumors of dolphin eating. (Much like they did to kill rumors about people munching on human embryos – seriously!)

Serious question: what makes eating dolphins worse than eating, say, pigs?

This pun alone should be grounds for deportation. I wouldn’t bother with the police. Imagine the chances of a single foreigner succeeding in lighting a fire under a fat-assed Taidong flatfoot on a matter like this! Probably a better idea might be to contact the NMMBA. They have a whole section devoted to dolphin study and I bet they could at least direct you to the relevant authorities, who DO take this kind of thing seriously, although obviously you’ll have to provide them with exact details – name & address of restaurant, date, etc. I clearly remember a year or two back a newspaper report in which an eatery down south got busted on the basis of a complaint from a member of the public. The cops searched their freezer and found the rest of the dolphin and the owner got a major fine.

Easy one – pigs don’t kill sharks with their snouts. :unamused:

Oh yeah? If it takes 16 pigs about eight minutes to completely devour a corpse, how long do you reckon a shark would last?

Gaseous emissions from swine manure storage systems represent a concern to air quality due to the potential impacts of hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane, and volatile organic compounds on environmental quality and human health and well-being.

I know of no such environmental problems caused by dolphins.

And, I have never once heard any story about any human being being rescued by swine.

Dolphins are protected by the Wildlife Conversation Law, whose enforcement belongs primarily to the Council of Agriculture.

You might also contact Chou Lien-siang of Tai-Da’s zoology department. He’s done some work in the past with crackdowns on dolphin meat.

Pig farms produce noxious pollution yes which is a good reason not to support them. Pork chops are not an incidental by-product of pig farms. They are the why of pig farms and all the slurry that pours out of them.

And I’ve never heard of feral children being suckled by dolphins :sunglasses:

Hey Formosa

Not trying to be too critical here, but would your conscience feel alot better if they didn’t tell you what you ate? Or if what they told you was just a complete lie and the fish you had was actually a local delicacy instead?

Just deal with it dude!

You ate something dead. It’s not like you swam out into the Ocean and slaughtered the poor bugger with an M16 in a satanic sacrifice.

Enjoy life and trust me…Mother Nature is one nasty B!tch who can take care of Herself !!!

ps I don’t condone or sanction eating dolphin, but just chalk it up as a good story and one of life’s unique experiences :slight_smile:

pps Luckily they didn’t tell you what you just ate was HUMAN, you’d probably be a monk by now :wink:

This thread reminds me of a time travelling with a tour group in northern Sichuan province in the PRC. After a long day on the road, we were served an extremely odd meal, including cateripillar fungus, which I recognized, and a brown meat I did not.

The people at the table with me suggested a few possible sources of the brown meat. It really could have been anything. Curiosity got most of us to try it. When we finally got the waitress’ attention, she confirmed one of the guesses that had been made–bear.

Not panda, she assured us. There was no retching, not at the table anyways, but it did give us something to think about the next day when we got to the panda reserve.

[quote=“timogan”]This thread reminds me of a time travelling with a tour group in northern Sichuan province in the PRC. After a long day on the road, we were served an extremely odd meal, including cateripillar fungus, which I recognized, and a brown meat I did not.

The people at the table with me suggested a few possible sources of the brown meat. It really could have been anything. Curiosity got most of us to try it. When we finally got the waitress’ attention, she confirmed one of the guesses that had been made–bear.

Not panda, she assured us. There was no retching, not at the table anyways, but it did give us something to think about the next day when we got to the panda reserve.[/quote]

Well, can you have bear meat here? They have a varied diet, so I think it must be tasty.

i once ate bear meat in oregon. absoluteley awful, they eat garbage, so they meat was utterly tasteless and garbagey. BEAVER on the other hand, is delicious! as are NUTRIA.

I have never heard of anyone who ate dolphin or bear meat in Taiwan. I would like to report the eatery that serves illegal meat. We have to protect those endangered creatures. Always be aware of what you are served before having a meal, because eating is the original reason for killing, and buying. No eating, no killing!!

Is there somewhere to get a list of illegal foods? How about eating Penguins? (Guess where this idea came from. :smiley: )

jenpenguin wrote: “I have never heard of anyone who ate dolphin or bear meat in Taiwan.”

Jen, lots of local people eat dolphin in south Taiwan I have heard. it’s not on the menu, but some places have in cold storage and cook it up for regulars who like it. It’s more common than you think. Japan does this too, whale and dolphin meat available there too.

Beavers - now that’s interesting. Whale shark is tasty too, but very endangered.

I LOVE eating beaver.

yeh
sandman
it’s quite
delicious
and best
when rare
to medium

rare