Ecstasy Study Trials to be conducted on US military

Have you ever used ecstacy?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

In the TT today was an article about using MDMA the drug most commonly known as ecstasy as a way to combat PTSS(post traumatic stress syndrome). Seems like the US gov is sending more mixed messages, as well as using the military again for their whacked out experiments…

Any thoughts?

Ecstasy

“E” is for dipshits.

Ecstasy trials for combat stress

David Adam, science correspondent
Thursday February 17, 2005
The Guardian

American soldiers traumatised by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be offered the drug ecstasy to help free them of flashbacks and recurring nightmares.

The US food and drug administration has given the go-ahead for the soldiers to be included in an experiment to see if MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy, can treat post-traumatic stress disorder.

Scientists behind the trial in South Carolina think the feelings of emotional closeness reported by those taking the drug could help the soldiers talk about their experiences to therapists. Several victims of rape and sexual abuse with post-traumatic stress disorder, for whom existing treatments are ineffective, have been given MDMA since the research began last year.

Michael Mithoefer, the psychiatrist leading the trial, said: "It’s looking very promising. It’s too early to draw any conclusions but in these treatment-resistant people so far the results are encouraging.

"People are able to connect more deeply on an emotional level with the fact they are safe now."

He is about to advertise for war veterans who fought in the last five years to join the study.

According to the US national centre for post-traumatic stress disorder, up to 30% of combat veterans suffer from the condition at some point in their lives.

Known as shell shock during the first world war and combat fatigue in the second, the condition is characterised by intrusive memories, panic attacks and the avoidance of situations which might force sufferers to relive their wartime experiences.

Dr Mithoefer said the MDMA helped people discuss traumatic situations without triggering anxiety.

[quote]
so, are they giving them MDMA, or exstasy? Seems that medical MDMA would be much safer…[/quote]

“It appears to act as a catalyst to help people move through whatever’s been blocking their success in therapy.”

The existing drug-assisted therapy sessions last up to eight hours, during music is played. The patients swallow a capsule containing a placebo or 125mg of MDMA - about the same or a little more than a typical ecstasy tablet.

[quote]
Question answered…so the title of the article is misleading…no surprise, it’s from the Guardian.[/quote]

Psychologists assess the patients before and after the trial to judge whether the drug has helped.

The study has provoked controversy,

Also, you have to read close in the article…MDMA is the ACTIVE ingredient in X…it’s not just a semantic difference.

:slight_smile:

good find though…interesting

Sounds dangerous to me. Won’t the glowsticks remind them of tracer fire?

I agree. Good find, Namahottie.

From the information presented in the article, I’d find it tough to characterize the program as “using the military again for their whacked out experiments” since (i) it appears from the first sentence that the patients are given the option of whether to participate in the study, and (ii) unlike caffein or amphetamine experiments, this does not seem intended to do anything other than lessen the pain of those who are suffering. So it seems to me to be more similar to prescription narcotics for pain or medicinal marajuana than it is to any kind of “whacked out experiment.”

Who knows. Maybe there’s more to it than the article says (although being The Guardian it is hard to believe that whatever information is available is not being portrayed in the most negative possible light…) I say good luck to them. I hope it helps.

[quote=“sandman”]Sounds dangerous to me. Won’t the glowsticks remind them of tracer fire?[/quote] :bravo: :bravo:
Funny, but all jokes aside…I recall a Oprah show where they had E users on there, and showing before and after brain scans. The after,. noted by the docs, said they resembled the brain of an Alzheimer patient. :astonished: Also, with those types of drugs it’s not guaranteed that the ‘trigger’ they are looking/seeking for a breakthrough will be warm and fuzzy. Also, at what level will not be addictive? What about the message this sends to the public about illegal substances?
How is the government going to regulate this? All this and more I wonder about this study. Sounds way to risky…

I don’t think this study will do anything to de-regulate exstasy.

As for your other questions, this is why there is a study being done. This is not an application that is being put out. This is not a program to make “E users.”

And I doubt they are seeking “warm and fuzzy” memories. I can only imagine there will lots and lots of crying. These folks were under unbelieveable physical and mental stress 24/7.

Maybe the government has listened to all the guys who complained about how the government did NOTHING to help the Vietnam vets and their troubles and want to get off on the right foot with theses folks. As for the use of psychoactive drugs…if you’ve done them, then you know how quickly they can open emotions and memories up. Now imagine that open-ness in the company of a trained professional trying like hell to help you get through the trauma caused by unimaginably stressful ordeals, death, paranoia…etc.

I hereby volunteer to take part in any tests for people recovering from the traumatic stress of teaching kindy in Taiwan.

It’s an interesting find, nicely done. I have a close friend with PTSD it would be interesting if it could help him. Although the US Marine Corp already used him for testing, he might be too chemically messed up. They treat their soldiers so well.

Before people decided that MDMA was a ‘dangerous drug’ it’s main use was by psychotherapists and the like. It stayed underground ofr a long time because professionals didn’t want it getting public and then gettign banned. They were getting a lot of very positive results from it.

‘E’ when it is pure MDMA and not some potentially dangerous mix or substitution with something nasty, is really quite an amazing drug. You may say ‘E is for dipshits’, but you’re stupider taking alcohol or tobacco.

Brian

MDMA can be used to treat post-tramatic stress? :noway:
MDMA can be used to treat post-tramatic stress. :astonished:
MDMA cures post-tramatic stress! :rainbow:

Does anyone remember the Farty Towers, er Faulty Towers, er Fawlty Towers episode where they kept having to say “And don’t mention the war!”

I think it will probably help. They should also try ketamine.
Both of these drugs have improved my life beyond measure.

People really ought to try these drugs before they start spouting
opinions about them. Or as John Lilly put it… “Shoot up or shut up”.

Reality is for people who can’t face drugs. The unexamined life is
not worth living.

People need to remember that more Vietnam vets died of suicide
than were killed in the war. Certainly its worthy experiment.
Are matches dangerous when the house is already on fire?

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Before people decided that MDMA was a ‘dangerous drug’ it’s main use was by psychotherapists and the like. It stayed underground ofr a long time because professionals didn’t want it getting public and then gettign banned. They were getting a lot of very positive results from it.

‘E’ when it is pure MDMA and not some potentially dangerous mix or substitution with something nasty, is really quite an amazing drug. You may say ‘E is for dipshits’, but you’re stupider taking alcohol or tobacco.

Brian[/quote] :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well said, but you’ve missed the other posters main point. Beer and fags are socially acceptable, part of the establishment. If you’re not following the establishmnet you must be a dipshit.

You need a good dose. :smiley: It works for me, every time. The dose, I mean. Also the grammar book.

If you start basing your reality on Oprah shows … get some. And I don’t mean you-know-what, you know? :smiley:

As for dip-shits. What are those? I’m really curious. Are they the Valium-as-opposed-to-Prozac crowd? Please help. :smiley: