Edible fish to raise and eat

Like tilapia or trout fingerlings.

I would like to raise them for my aquaponics set up and then, showing them my thanks for all their hard work, eat them. :lick: :thumbsup:

just wait until there big, no goldfish swallowing.

Contact the Council of Agriculture extension in Shulin and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Do you need directions or an address?

Yes.

The guy at the fish shop said you can pretty much eat any fish, but he’s from Hong Kong. :laughing:

ok this place is a PITA to find and the entrance is really small. My google-fu is weak so here is what I got because the google maps for this area are over 6 years old. :unamused:

Google map coords:

Just paste either one into google maps to give you the location. I’m not sure if they are as helpful as Dacun is in Changhua. If necessary I can head out to Dacun and ask, but it may take awhile. They should speak English in Sanxia as the guys in Dacun have good English. You’re going to want to find the information center.

[quote=“Okami”]ok this place is a PITA to find and the entrance is really small. My google-fu is weak so here is what I got because the google maps for this area are over 6 years old. :unamused:

Google map coords:

Just paste either one into google maps to give you the location. I’m not sure if they are as helpful as Dacun is in Zhanghua. If necessary I can head out to Dacun and ask, but it may take awhile. They should speak English in Sanxia as the guys in Dacun have good English. You’re going to want to find the information center.[/quote]

This place may be close to my house. Can you get me a phone #? :pray:

It is close, but as I said my google fu is not strong enough to get a phone number unless I head to Dacun which isn’t going to happen when it’s cold and rainy. Just walk in and look for the information center. You can literally walk around anywhere and probably be able to nick a lot of gear without anyone noticing for a couple weeks. :wink:

It has a small well-hidden entrance on that road.

JD -

I can get you the best fish food for this venture.
All natural and it strengthens their immune system - which is very important in situations where you have higher stress levels with a lot of fish in the tanks.
Used by aqua-farmers farmers in Texas and elsewhere.

[quote=“Okami”]It is close, but as I said my google fu is not strong enough to get a phone number unless I head to Dacun which isn’t going to happen when it’s cold and rainy. Just walk in and look for the information center. You can literally walk around anywhere and probably be able to nick a lot of gear without anyone noticing for a couple weeks. :wink:

It has a small well-hidden entrance on that road.[/quote]
We’ll try and find it this weekend. :thumbsup: [quote=“TainanCowboy”]JD -

I can get you the best fish food for this venture.
All natural and it strengthens their immune system - which is very important in situations where you have higher stress levels with a lot of fish in the tanks.
Used by aqua-farmers farmers in Texas and elsewhere.[/quote]
Can I get it here?

I personally love tillapia. any fish that can use algae is a good bet. unless you hate eating them i think they are the best bet here. If you really cant find them for sale (should be easy if you speak chinese, even I can find them…), buy a fish net and a headlamp and go “scouting” one night in fish farms. just need a few to get breeding your own. or wait for a typhoon/flood and ask a kid to get you a few…either way works equally well.

if you go for these cichlids then feeding is easy to make yourself if you wish to. they are omnivorous so can eat pretty much everything. worm bin for garden can supply some meat (worms) add in any left over fish (cooked) and add various vegs. blend, cook if needed, and dry. fish food for free. other things for protein can be used as well. in canada i used beef heart (cooked, dried and blended) i would say any beef or fish scrap is probably ok to use here…might be wrong on the beef here but its probably good.

I went to Dacun Ag Extension today to ask about fish and hops.

You don’t want to go to Shulin, they don’t handle fish at all. You want to go here:
湖州街 #2 Taipei City
(02)3343-6000

Not much luck on hops, probably need to go to the Guoguang flower market in Dali and check out the specialty herb stall.