Editing posts

Dangermouse, can you be a bit more specific? In which forum is your stuff being edited? Have you PM’ed the mod of that forum to demand an explanation?

I tried to edit another user’s post just now to add a moderator’s note in a forum I mod, and got the message “Sorry, but this username has already been taken.” when I clicked the submit button.

Weird!

It’s just a glitch. Am I right that your edit was successful and otherwise uneventful?

Someone keeps editing mine; whenever I try and type ‘Sandman is an idiot’ it comes out as ‘Sandman is an idiot’.

See what I mean?!

Nope. The editing wasn’t accepted. I was just removing the ‘shouting’ from a very old post which begins the moving companies thread, here. If it were a new post I’d PM the user and ask them not to use all caps or a larger font in red, as it’s unnecessary and obnoxious. Maybe I’m overmoderating? :smiley: Anyway, it didn’t stick.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Someone keeps editing mine; whenever I try and type ‘Sandman is an idiot’ it comes out as ‘Sandman is an idiot’.

See what I mean?![/quote]
‘Sandman is an idiot.’ Damn! You’re right.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Stray Dog”]Someone keeps editing mine; whenever I try and type ‘Sandman is an idiot’ it comes out as ‘Sandman is an idiot’.

See what I mean?![/quote]
‘Sandman is an idiot.’ Damn! You’re right.[/quote]

Sandman is an idiot.

Nope. The editing wasn’t accepted. I was just removing the ‘shouting’ from a very old post which begins the moving companies thread, here. If it were a new post I’d PM the user and ask them not to use all caps or a larger font in red, as it’s unnecessary and obnoxious. Maybe I’m overmoderating? :smiley: Anyway, it didn’t stick.[/quote]
Ah, right. because the user doesn’t exist anymore but his name is still attached to the post - almost like a shadow. Try again, but just sweep the shadow name away. It should work, but the name will probably be replaced with “guest” or “anonymous”.

Thanks, that worked. I added an underscore so the ghost name is preserved (which is better, IMO, than just deleting it).