El Gallo - Mexican restaurant in Tianmu (Closed)

Mexican Food uses cheese. Have you ever heard of a quesadilla?
Here’s an example of real mexican cheese:
z.about.com/d/mexicanfood/1/0/y/3/Frycheese1.jpg

I love El Gallo’s Tortilla soup. It’s an ancient recipe and hit the spot!

Thank you Isa!

Now, let’s agree there is “cheese” and then there is really delicious, fresh, old-fashioned cheese.

There are cheese tacos, by the way, at least, in Central America we do them diferently: take the tortilla, take the fresh cheese, warp it up in the tortilla, fry the whole thing, enjoy. That’s a cheese taco for me.

Now, the one we use most widely in Latin American food is fresh cheese, that is soft and mushy, crumbled with your fingers and melts into a single sticky glory. It is fragrant but not stinky. Ahhh…

OK, I did look up the cheese thing on Wiki a few weeks back and found out that most areas in Mexico use cheese.

But at El Gallo when I ordered Fajitas–they DID NOT come with cheese. I had to order that on the side. All things considered, I thought the portion of meat was pretty tiny considering the price, and the meat didn’t taste grilled. The service was excellent, as was the atmosphere AND I LOVED the chips and salsa. But it was pricey, and we were both hungry 2 hours later.

For fajitas I still love Yuma, and they give you TONS of meat!!

YUM! MUY DELICIOSO!!! WIsh i could make the all you can eat TACO NIGHTS on Tuesday!

[quote=“Gifthorse”]OK, I did look up the cheese thing on Wiki a few weeks back and found out that most areas in Mexico use cheese.

But at El Gallo when I ordered Fajitas–they DID NOT come with cheese. I had to order that on the side. All things considered, I thought the portion of meat was pretty tiny considering the price, and the meat didn’t taste grilled. The service was excellent, as was the atmosphere AND I LOVED the chips and salsa. But it was pricey, and we were both hungry 2 hours later.

For fajitas I still love Yuma, and they give you TONS of meat!![/quote]

Let’s face it, Yuma is a little better than El Gallo when it comes to value. Yuma is in Taipei. El Gallo is in Tienmu, a more upscale area. I think the food is quite authentic.

Yuma isn’t a Mexican restaurant. They don’t serve tamales, Aztec soup, mole and so on. The comparison isn’t relevant IMO.

I miss eating at El Gallo – we’ll have to make the long trek soon!

[quote=“Gifthorse”]
But at El Gallo when I ordered Fajitas–they DID NOT come with cheese. I had to order that on the side. [/quote]

First you asserted that Mexican food doesn’t come with cheese, when clearly cheese is widely used in Mexico and then you complain that your fajitas didn’t come with cheese. NOT ALL Mexican food is smothered with cheese. I have never had or seen fajitas with cheese on top. You seem to be thinking like a typical all-knowing American and getting the Tex Mex thing and Mexican thing mixed up.

BroonAsada

Why don’t you move the Yuma talk over to the Yuma thread! This thread is to praise El Gallo, and Isa.

[quote=“BroonAle”]
First you asserted that Mexican food doesn’t come with cheese, when clearly cheese is widely used in Mexico and then you complain that your fajitas didn’t come with cheese. NOT ALL Mexican food is smothered with cheese.
BroonAsada[/quote]
My partner worked in a mexican restuarant in California. California used to be mexico. My partner says that fajitas there don’t come with Cheese. Not all mexicans can afford cheese.

[quote=“kuoocc”][quote=“BroonAle”]
First you asserted that Mexican food doesn’t come with cheese, when clearly cheese is widely used in Mexico and then you complain that your fajitas didn’t come with cheese. NOT ALL Mexican food is smothered with cheese.
BroonAsada[/quote]
My partner worked in a Mexican restuarant in California. California used to be mexico. My partner says that fajitas there don’t come with Cheese. [/quote]

That’s what I said; fajitas don’t come with cheese. But Gifthorse seems to think that they should despite contradicting his/herself about the use of cheese in Mexican food.

BroonArrachera

Hello friends!

You like cheese? Check our new Quesadilla Special!

Have a wonderful day!

el Gallo

Happy Birthday, Isa! :beer:

[strike]It looks like El Gallo is closing up for good.[/strike]They’re selling off their furniture this weekend. :frowning:

[strike]It’s always a shame when a good place like this goes under. But it’s even worse when it’s a restaurant in a cuisine underrepresented in Taiwan.[/strike]

[strike]I hope the owners and employees have much better luck in their next endeavors.[/strike]

I got an email from them saying there was a sale on their furniture and decoration July 30th-August 1st because they were completely renovating for their 2-year anniversary.

I just called to double check. They are indeed renovating and are scheduled to reopen around the end of September.

I always liked the furniture there, though. So I wonder what sort of thing they’ll be replacing it with.

I walked by there last weekend. There’s a note on the door about renovations. It said they have a temporary stall somewhere, but I forgot where.

Well, they definitely didn’t reopen at the end of September – not in the same location at least. The place on Zhongshan North Road has been for rent for some time now. There used to be a sign about a stand in the Shilin night market; but the sign’s gone too.

Next month they are supposed to be moving to Neihu. Isa is now advertising himself as take home chef and also the stand 446 at Shilin.

YES! YES! YES!

Has El Gallo closed? The phone number is disconnected.