El Toro's opening a restaurant in Miaoli!

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]I was there for lunch at about 1:00 a few years ago. I went with a friend. When we got there there was only one other table of people there. My friend had already eaten and ordered a drink. The owner of the place (The Wife) told him that there was a NT150 minimum. I told her that I was going to eat and that he had eaten already so wasn’t hungry.
She said that we couldn’t stay if he didn’t pay the minimum charge. We left. I never went back.[/quote]
You gotta remember, restaurateurs are not there for love and charity. How do you go to a restaurant at LUNCHTIME and you’ve already eaten???

Beats the hell outta me… how can so many places be kitted out and decorated so to the hilt, the food is such a disappointment, even an outright disgrace. This has been our experience here in Taiwan. Don’t they KNOW they’re serving swill? My solution? Open up my own place. And that is exactly what I’m doing.

[quote=“El Toro”][quote=“Maoman”]

our food was so bad that we decided we won’t go back. Oh well.[/quote]

Beats the hell outta me…how can so many places be kitted out and decorated so to the hilt, the food is such a disappointment, even an outright disgrace. This has been our experience here in Taiwan. Don’t they KNOW they’re serving swill? My solution? Open up my own place. And that is exactly what I’m doing.[/quote]

What kind of place, El Toro, and where? Maybe you could start a thread.

If your eatery is as good as your sausage and other stuff, I’ll be a regular.

[quote=“Anubis”][quote=“El Toro”][quote=“Maoman”]

our food was so bad that we decided we won’t go back. Oh well.[/quote]

Beats the hell outta me…how can so many places be kitted out and decorated so to the hilt, the food is such a disappointment, even an outright disgrace. This has been our experience here in Taiwan. Don’t they KNOW they’re serving swill? My solution? Open up my own place. And that is exactly what I’m doing.[/quote]

What kind of place, El Toro, and where? Maybe you could start a thread.

If your eatery is as good as your sausage and other stuff, I’ll be a regular.[/quote]

Hey Anubis,

I’m opening a pizzeria in the Miaoli area, Zhunan specifically. Near enough to the Zhunan Science Park, and 20 seconds walk from the main road, so I reckon it will rock. Thanks for the compliment about my products! Actually, if you had my sausage before and liked it, you’ll love my new boerewors~bacon and boerewors/bacon/cheese even more. You may have noticed I’ve got some banner ads for my business. Look for “Sizzle”. Yellow lettering on a purple backround.

Nice to see such a restaurant opening in Miaoli! I will check it out sometime…

I’ll keep everyone posted as to our progress. Still a lot of details to be worked through. :slight_smile:

Argh! You couldn’t have opened this before I left Zhunan?

There’s already a pretty good pizza place in Zhunan (Ciabatta?) . But it’s tiny (more like a large street stand than a regular restaurant) and not at all near the science park, which could definitely use more decent eateries.

Best of luck with your new place.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]Argh! You couldn’t have opened this before I left Zhunan?

There’s already a pretty good pizza place in Zhunan (Ciabatta?) . But it’s tiny (more like a large street stand than a regular restaurant) and not at all near the science park, which could definitely use more decent eateries.

Best of luck with your new place.[/quote]

Lol Laowai. sorry man!
Yeah, I know abou the place you’re referring to. An American guy…forget his name. Makes nice pizza. Take my hat off to him; he built is own gas pizza oven and speaks excellent Chinese!

Where do you live now, Cranky?

Will you be near the bike paths that run down from Hsinchu? Could market yourself as a nice day trip.

Not as far as I know. It’ll be near the train station. Not sure how far the bike paths are from that.

Coughpostsignsonbikepathcough
:whistle:

[quote=“Okami”]Coughpostsignsonbikepathcough
:whistle:[/quote]

Ehhhmmm, :aiyo: …Thanks Okami…not feelin’ meself these days lol. Thanks for pointing that out. :notworthy:

Did you find a wood vendor?

Now I work in the Nangang software park, which could also really use a good pizza place. :pray:

I’m still trying to figure out the location of your place. The Zhunan science park isn’t really near the train station – not by my reckoning, at least. And the train station’s not really near the bike path on the coast – though for anyone who rides all the way down from Xinzhu the extra distance wouldn’t seem like much. (BTW, bike “path” doesn’t really do justice to this. It’s more like a bike divided highway.)

Regardless, once you get everything up and running I’ll direct some of my old coworkers there and make a trip by myself the next I’m in the area.

Not yet, but it’s not urgent at this stage. My wife is on to it. She can negotiate with them as my Chinese is not yet good enough. But thanks a lot for giving us some pointers. When we open, you’ll be invited for a complimentary pizza!

[quote=“cranky laowai”]

Regardless, once you get everything up and running I’ll direct some of my old coworkers there and make a trip by myself the next I’m in the area.[/quote]

The place is just off Bo Ai Rd, which is directly adjacent to the train station and is one of the busiest thoroughfares in Zhunan. I’ll keep you updated as to our progress.

I wish El Toro the best of luck with this endeavor. I have used his products from his website and they were always delicious. I have never had even a slightest hesitation. HIGHLY recommended!
My friend, I wish you the best!

[quote=“Enigma”]I wish El Toro the best of luck with this endeavor. I have used his products from his website and they were always delicious. I have never had even a slightest hesitation. HIGHLY recommended!
My friend, I wish you the best![/quote]

Much obliged! I really appreciate the vote of confidence! Back home in SA, I had two restaurants and was jointly involved in another and our food was always received very well by our customers.

Any update?

We’re hoping for November. Had investor issues, which have now been sorted, but we’re not ready to open yet. Will keep things updated as they develop.