El Toro's Sausages, Boerewors, and other products

Can you do Spanish variety Chorizos?

Sure, I can give it a try. I can google a recipe, or if you have one, give it me, en I will mek it for joo. :stuck_out_tongue:

what are cumberland sausages?

Lemme translate a salchichon recipe and we’ll be talking. :lick:

Papas con chorizo, mmmmm…

This is from a “healthy” website -meaning please add more fat!

Thanks I, I couldn’t find one that seemed to match what I’ve eaten recently in Melbourne or the US, that looks good to me - with the additional fat, of course!

Thanks for that recipe, Icon!
Looks quite pricey to make, though…but I can do it!
Price would be $700 per kg. Good quality beef (the only kind I will use) is pricey.

Rice-t, Cumberland sausages are English sausages made from pork shoulder and a mix of various herbs and spices. Lovely pan-fried or even barbecued.

Lemme get you a more unhealthy and less refined recipe for chorizo then. The one I am used to oozes with yellow fat, which drips over the potatoes like marmelade…

I haven’t found a recipe for salchichon. Must translate, then.

El Toro, I posted a bit on making chorizo in this thread. Note that Spanish chorizo is a very different thing from Mexican chorizo, as different as, say, hard salami and spicy American breakfast pork sausage patties. Icon’s recipe looks more like the Mexican style. (I can’t speak about Latin American chorizo in general, as I have only been to Mexico and eaten Mexican chorizo.)

The Spanish chorizo I’ve had was a hard, cured pork sausage with square chunks of meat and fat embedded in it, and was mildly flavored, predominantly with sweet paprika and garlic. It can be sliced and eaten like salami.

The Mexican chorizo I’ve had is instead a raw sausage, from finely or coarsely ground fatty pork with a lot of hot chile peppers, vinegar, and a load of other spices like cumin, paprika, and so on. Generally you break the casing open after thawing it, squeeze the insides out into a hot pan with a bit of oil, and mash it as you fry it, until it is crumbly. The oil that comes out should be reddish-orange and very flavorful. If you want a dry, crumbly chorizo to put on tacos, for instance, you tilt the pan while pressing the fried chorizo to drain the grease, then put the chorizo on kitchen paper towels to absorb a bit more of the oil. Save the pan grease for cooking other stuff, as it is richly flavored.

DB, thanks for your chorizo recipe-looks great.
The chorizo that I would make would be the “fresh” variety, ie not cured. Actually, I made some Cumberlands a few days ago and added triple the amount of cayenne pepper normally called for and it turned out smashing! It was a nice change from the boerewors which I usually have.
Happy cooking/braaing everyone!

The one I am used to is cut into small-sausage lenght pieces, leaving teh skins on. Then you cook it, broiled or stir fried, with potatoes. Mmmm…

Icon, it sounds scrumptious!

For me, it was a special treat at my father’s house. My mother’s family does not eat pork. :frowning:

I’ll send top quality minced beef to your door @ NT$ 400 per kg.

I have rump steak…no bone, at $450 per kg, cut to whichever size you like! :wink:

Hi everybody,

I have bacon and cheese flavoured boerewors now at NT$500 per kg and one with only bacon added at NT$450 per kg.

1 Like

Still in business? Could not see the web site?