Elected Representative: If you want to have a taste of leopard cats, come find me

That’s a video of Miaoli county’s Tongluo Township representative Lin Jiu-Tai claiming there are as many leopard cats as stray dogs, and people in his township often captures and eat them. Then he added if you want to find out what leopard cats taste like, just go find him.

That’s all during a meeting to evaluate whether or not the planned highway that hugs the hills where only about 500 Shi-hu (literally Rock Tigers) calls their last home on the island. I feel like I’ve stepped in the movie The Pirates! Band of Misfits, where Queen Victoria is in a Secret Dining Club to sample rare animals around the world…

That’s what baby Shi-hu, aka Prionailurus bengalensis, looks like. They don’t look much meaner when they are grown either.

They look like cats but can’t vocalize like house cats, and they are unsuitable pets, and they are listed as Taiwan’s Class I Endangered species.

Shi-hu don’t adapt well to human developments and road kill is a serious threat to bengalensis all over Asia. Scientist also list road kill as the most critical threat to the Iriomote cat species, a distant cousin to Taiwan’s Shi-hu.

A facebook social movement group aimed to document and minimize Taiwan’s road kills recently had this presentation on Shi-hu road kills.

dropbox.com/s/oizpixsm868xk … %A7%80.pdf

If you don’t like to see road kills, let’s just say they are extremely susceptible to being road kills… From December of 2013 to January of 2014 alone, 3 shi-hus were killed on freeway 3 and freeway 1. Now this new highway is going to be built right in the heart of their last habitat…

Students from the Sunflower movement, especially Miaoli native Chen Wei-ting, are gathering support to end this development plan. They are up against their old nemesis, Miaoli county mayor Liu Zheng-hong.

When you see where he comes from, Chen Wei-ting’s impulsiveness and fiery rhetoric seem to make a lot more sense. I would say the Baron Liu Cheng-hung is hurting any chance of a KMT victory in the magistrate election this year, but Wikipedia tells me no DPP candidates have announced an intention to run, so…

This kind of politician is exactly why there is so much anger out there.

But this is a serious situation. A somebody who is fairly well acquainted with Sanyi it’s very sad to see it starting to be developed. The area is one of Taiwan’s natural jewels and is home to a lot of rare wildlife. In any civilised country it would be zoned as national park or as a no development area.

Where is this road supposed to go through exactly?

Im not sure either. There are a couple of building projects in aware of. It may be part of the road that is being built across Taian gorge from the other side.
I have seen what I believe is part of this new road being constructed just outside Sanyi town. There’s no need for any new road there, it’s crazy. The guy mentioned is a rep from tongluo area. That’s where they put the ugly freeway exit right across the valley and established yet another dodgy ‘science/industrial park’.

is there scientific or culinary proof that these leopards don’t taste good to humans?

if so, I don’t see what the problem is…

Really not the only criteria in selecting food. Eating potentially diseased, endangered species is just evidence for a very low IQ or extreme poverty. Neither of which makes them bad people, just … not very credible people.

Eating those types of animals is actually a good way to contract brain diseases, might not be a bad thing in this fellows case.

[quote=“FurTrader”]is there scientific or culinary proof that these leopards don’t taste good to humans?

if so, I don’t see what the problem is…[/quote]

from the one time someone tricked me into eating dolphin, I can tell you it taste like crap, tastes like chunks of rubber that takes a minute each to swallow, doesn’t stop people from eating it.

Not only eating wild animals is a vector for disease, like rabies or SARS, but also it shows such contempt for nature’s balance. Again, we have the people that make the decisions having no stake in the future of the country. It is not that they do not care, it is that they loath the place, they want out. Their ideals, their loyalties, their models are in the Other Side.

As to the cultural part: this is not Guanzhou -and this is spoken as a Cantonese descendent. Eating everything with four legs but the table made sense when poverty was rampant. But this is Taiwan. If they must resort to eating wild animals they hunt themselves, well…

I find his speech condescending. The demeaning way he treats his constituents can only be explained by the all powerful control through fear they have. Such contempt is only derived from hate I have seen and heard in many local officials: they despise the locals, their ruling is absolute because they have the courts/police/mafia on their side, and this combo of corruption and greed has scary results.

they are actually going against TaiwanSPCA for making the call on this one and calling a spade a spade. Many people ask why Ma is having such bad reactions, why there is such disrespect towards this Administration. Well, it’s mutual.

Luxgen is supposedly on the frontier of ecological cars. Destroying an ecological preserve to produce electric cars is sheer nonsense. There are plenty of empty spaces, no need to build more concrete. The road is not needed.

Spending money on pandas is OK but local fauna like this cat and the Formosan bear, will go extinct because for these people, they are not worth it. sigh

[quote=“FurTrader”]is there scientific or culinary proof that these leopards don’t taste good to humans?

if so, I don’t see what the problem is…[/quote]

You sir (or ma’am) sound like the perfect person to invest in my plan for a chain of panda-meat restaurants. It’s totally unsustainable though so I can’t guarantee any long-term return on that investment, but it will be lots of fun at least for a few weeks until there are no more pandas left in the world.

Does the guy have an Internet address? Does he have a postal address? Where can we protest this asshole’s greed and selfishness in a way that would actually affect him?

[quote=“Icon”]Not only eating wild animals is a vector for disease, like rabies or SARS, but also it shows such contempt for nature’s balance. Again, we have the people that make the decisions having no stake in the future of the country. It is not that they do not care, it is that they loath the place, they want out. Their ideals, their loyalties, their models are in the Other Side.

As to the cultural part: this is not Guanzhou -and this is spoken as a Cantonese descendent. Eating everything with four legs but the table made sense when poverty was rampant. But this is Taiwan. If they must resort to eating wild animals they hunt themselves, well…

I find his speech condescending. The demeaning way he treats his constituents can only be explained by the all powerful control through fear they have. Such contempt is only derived from hate I have seen and heard in many local officials: they despise the locals, their ruling is absolute because they have the courts/police/mafia on their side, and this combo of corruption and greed has scary results.

they are actually going against TaiwanSPCA for making the call on this one and calling a spade a spade. Many people ask why Ma is having such bad reactions, why there is such disrespect towards this Administration. Well, it’s mutual.

Luxgen is supposedly on the frontier of ecological cars. Destroying an ecological preserve to produce electric cars is sheer nonsense. There are plenty of empty spaces, no need to build more concrete. The road is not needed.

Spending money on pandas is OK but local fauna like this cat and the Formosan bear, will go extinct because for these people, they are not worth it. sigh[/quote]

There’s no difference between eating wild cats and wild boars. I wish white people stop giving a shit about what others eat. Just because you think dogs and cats are cute doesn’t mean it’s wrong to eat them.

It’s immoral and idiotic to eat an endangered species (which boars clearly are not), or to encourage an attitude that such a thing doesn’t matter. Even right wing fuckheads only have one planet to make a go at it.

[quote=“JillyPolla”][quote=“Icon”]

As to the cultural part: this is not Guanzhou -and this is spoken as a [color=#000080]Cantonese descendent[/color].

[/quote]* * * I wish[color=#000080] white people[/color] stop giving a s*** about what others eat. * * * [/quote]
Huh?

Oh, maybe you’re referring to this:

[quote=“Icon”]. . . but I am[color=#000080] Latino[/color]/Oversize[color=#000080] Chinese[/color]. :stuck_out_tongue: * * * . . . I am [color=#000080]not fully Caucasian[/color].[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 9#p1480059

So is it that you think Icon’s Caucasian side got the better of her or something? I’m just trying to understand the thought process at work here.

[quote=“JillyPolla”][quote=“Icon”]Not only eating wild animals is a vector for disease, like rabies or SARS, but also it shows such contempt for nature’s balance. Again, we have the people that make the decisions having no stake in the future of the country. It is not that they do not care, it is that they loath the place, they want out. Their ideals, their loyalties, their models are in the Other Side.

Spending money on pandas is OK but local fauna like this cat and the Formosan bear, will go extinct because for these people, they are not worth it. sigh[/quote]

There’s no difference between eating wild cats and wild boars. I wish white people stop giving a shit about what others eat. Just because you think dogs and cats are cute doesn’t mean it’s wrong to eat them.[/quote]

Come on mods, this account is an obvious troll.

Unfortunately, HH2, it probably isn’t. The breeze blows through the space between these folks’ ears, and this is the noise that comes out.

Incidentally, wild boar/pigs are extinct in many places, or nearly so. Google ‘Visayan Warty Pig’.

It doesn’t make sense even then. Poverty is often a direct result of environmental abuse. When you demolish the ecosystem services on which all human communities ultimately depend, you’re fucked, bigstyle.

While you can understand people eating whatever they can get their hands on for a month or a year in a crisis situation, you would expect people to apply a bit of brainpower in the interim to figure out the causes of their predicament, and stop doing it. Humans seem to be extraordinarily bad at doing this.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
Come on mods, this account is an obvious troll.[/quote]
I think not.
But you are free to make a complaint through the proper channel,

Perhaps troll like, cave dwelling would be more applicable? Perhaps it would like to live in the cave with the leopard cats? :whistle:

[quote=“hansioux”]

That’s a video of Miaoli county’s Tongluo Township representative Lin Jiu-Tai claiming there are as many leopard cats as stray dogs, and people in his township often captures and eat them.[/quote]

Tonight when I clicked it, I got this message:

Or I got this message Chinese:

Then when I clicked the YouTube icon on the lower right-hand side of the YouTube border (the one that says “Watch on YouTube.com” when you mouse over it), I got this message:

[quote]This video is unavailable.

Sorry about that.[/quote]

Or in Chinese I got this message:

[quote]無法播放這部影片。

如有不便敬請見諒。[/quote]