Electric Cars in Cold Weather

Not to the same extent.

Well I guess if this is your belief, then I think there is not much of a point of continuing this debate.

But it remains A) not exclusively an EV problem, and B) unacceptably high levels.

If you had read my post closer to the top, I already complained about excessive data collection.

I did.

Yes, it was noted.

What are you referring to by “it”? Excessive data collection?

Unacceptably high levels of what, exactly? Excessive data collection again? Not sure what you’re talking about here.

Data collection is far more entrenched in evs than non-evs.

“Although there is little agreement on how much data a connected EV could generate, some estimates have put the upper limit at 32 terabytes of data per day. And with millions of EVs expected to be on the road over the next decade, that will give literal meaning to “highways of data.””

It’s not my belief. It’s a verifiable fact. If they actually knew how to do these things, they (a) would be doing them and (b) wouldn’t be spouting nonsense about everyone needing to buy an EV or we’ll all be globally boiled. They wouldn’t still be jetting off to holiday resorts, after 30 years of same, having exactly the same conversations and wringing their hands over caviar and Wagyu steak.

The most productive thing governments could possibly do at this point, on multiple issues, is to simply STFU.

3 Likes

I guess I am going to have to disagree with this then.

You mean because you don’t like it, or because you genuinely think it’s not a fact?

1 Like

Yes.

Yes.

Got it :+1:

Because I genuinely know it’s not a fact.

Ah, right. I must be completely mistaken about the existence of their well-thought-out plans for our clean-and-green future. For some diabolical reason, they are keeping these plans carefully hidden and are instead telling us all to buy EVs.

To me. It’s just the difference between a dose of 1.5 mg/kg of cyanide and a dose of 3 mg/kg. Both are fatal. After that, what’s the difference?

Things in life are not black and white.

Things mandated out of existence:

CFCs.

Leaded petrol

Leaded paint

etc…

I live in a world of nuance. Falliable people all around me, in the government, in the workplace, in the companies I transact with, etc… There are good people and bad people. Competent people and incompetent people. All on a spectrum. There are times where governments succeeded and times where they failed. There are times where there may not be an apparent right or wrong answer. That’s why we debate. Sometimes interests collide.

I’ve seen too much of everything to simply just write off governments as inherently bad. You’re not going to change my mind on this. Do I agree with everything? No. Do I disagree with everything? No either. Do I believe that even policies are on a spectrum? Absolutely.

But. I cannot just simply write governments off as inherently bad. That mindset cannot be changed. I’m happy to argue specific policies, but my mind cannot be changed that life in general is without nuance.

2 Likes

Companies like Ford/GM/etc. can’t make decent electric cars so they turn to fear. It worked to make nuclear politically useless.

I’m not asking you to disagree with everything. I’m suggesting that BEVs, specifically, are fecking stupid, and the only reason they’re “popular” at the moment is due to a combination of fearmongering, propaganda, lies, and threats. There are very few genuine reasons the average person would want to spend the money on one.

This conversation has nothing to do with leaded paint and suchlike. There were extremely solid reasons for the legislation removing those things from the market - and it was not difficult at all for manufacturers to switch to alternative product formulations. No such reasons exist for BEVs. The fact that the only possible outcome of EV “mandates” will be negative suggests - at best - incompetence. Other observations - such as government antipathy to policies which would be economically, environmentally and socially positive - suggests malign intent.

2 Likes

Please excuse for off-topic but does being stuck in winter storm in a car is like an American thing? Is it something that parents tell kids to scare them or what?
Never heard of something like that happening in Europe or even considered it as something potentially dangerous.
I could imagine if I’m in that situation (stuck in a car, regardless it’s ICE or electric, unable to continue driving) I would just… walk to the nearest home/town/village/gas station/basically anywhere warm?

it happens

1 Like

If there is an EV, one could hope it implodes and people can get warm.

3 Likes

This only works in moderately-low temperatures, or in countries where settlements are reasonably close together. It’s not really like that in the cold bits of North America; temperatures can drop to below the level a human body can maintain core temperature, and settlements can be many miles apart.

So yeah, it’s an American thing.

It’s an absolute disgrace that TPTB managed to blow many trillions of $ on the thing-that-may-not-be-named, and hundreds of billions on fashionable wars, yet seem completely unable to scrape together a few billion for - say - some functioning transport systems. Or address environmental issues in any meaningful way. The icing on the cake is that the same people who can’t even manage to get the bins emptied more than once a week are telling us that they’re going to fix the global climate.

5 Likes

ICE vehicles wouldn’t start in the first place, unless you had cans of ether and lit a bonfire under the oil sump.

A lot of EVs and hybrids in sweden and Norway

2 Likes