Electric Cars in Cold Weather

I mean, you could run out of petrol too. Heater don’t work without the car running. :wink:

4 Likes

EVs lose 30% of their range in the cold. ICE vehicles don’t.

3 Likes

Sure, but if you have an EV, you’d be charging it at home for a full battery every time you leave your house, and when the battery is being used, it heats up, partially mitigating that loss.

And usually responsible and reasonably intelligent people prep for long drives and are prepared for emergencies.

I think the message is moot and 90% fearmongering.

5 Likes

Dollar to a donut 95% of the cars in that picture are driving to their homes (i.e., their home charging station), not from home, not in that weather.

And what about irresponsible and unintelligent Americans? Roads in the US are full of 'em.

EVs are becoming less popular for a reason, and paying a $$$ premium for a relative loss of range is one of them.

1 Like

The average range for modern EVs is approximately 500 km. Even if I cut 30%, that’s 350 km round trip. I’m sure there are a few people that might do that round trip, but considering the fact that a one way trip is approximately two hours if there is no traffic at all, I think exeedingly few people would spend up to six hours a day (if traffic) driving to their eight-hour per day job. Four hours without traffic is already excessive. On top of the numerous and usually very accurate weather forecasts would even add an extra layer of readiness and thus, I don’t think being stranded with an EV is all that different to being stranded with an internal combustion engine. People are not new to their jobs and their commutes for very long and most people living in cold climates know what happens. To that, I think it’s a very exceedingly rare situation for the average person.

I don’t think a petrol car will stop them from getting into trouble.

There are plenty of valid factors against buying an EV, but shady the-powers-that-be/government-controlling-you is not one of them.

This is from someone who’d rather drive a mid 2000s car so I don’t have to deal with corporate data collection.

Sounds like it’s time for someone to start the Serious Political Discussions thread… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Already ahead of you.

1 Like

So do petrol cars. In parts of Canada outside of moderate or maritime regions where it regularly gets stupid cold, petrol cars regularly come with block heaters to plug into a 110V NEMA outlet because petrol cars also struggle in the cold and may literally not start.

More info:

Cars in general struggle in the cold. This isn’t new.

2 Likes

What happens in the not so cold climates? The American Southwest?

I think it would be somewhat rare (not exceedingly rare) for a person with above average planning skills, and with the desire to do anything more than stop at a gas station and fill up in <5 minutes.

I think that these people are burdened far more than you know with anything that complicates their life, like planning ahead for charging stations and remembering to plug in overnight (assuming they can be bothered to buy a home charging station in the first place).

See California.

Marco, I think you overestimate the average American’s desire to risk her own money on a technology that requires far more effort than ICE technology, as well as learning new planning skills. Less range means more roadside charging stations than gas stations, charging an EV takes far more time than filling up with gas, and for all the extra trouble the “average American” gets to pay a premium.

Aside from who freezes to death sooner, I think the American consumer today is interested in EV but not yet willing to buy. He instead prefers a compromise: hybrid tech. At least when your battery konks out you have a mature, reliable fuel system to fall back on.

2 Likes

I guess they don’t freeze to death? What is your point? That’s not really the focus of the topic. The topic is not whether or not EVs are better than ICE cars.

You seem to be mistaking something from my posts. I am not advocating for or against EVs and that’s not the point of my posts. There are valid reasons for and against EVs and I don’t necessarily disagree with your points. I am simply responding to the obvious fearmongering that is so false, it might as well be comedic. There are lots of problems with EVs and a shadowy cabal of ‘they’ are not one of them. That’s it.

I would also prefer if my username with the @ would be used.

It’s the same thing with this. Ok, sure. I agree.

But what is the point? That only EVs struggle in cold weather? That EV performance and customer experience is significantly worse in cold weather? All cars struggle in cold weather. It’s a fact.

Oh, come on. Phasing out ICEs is stated national policy in many countries. 2030-2035 is a commonly-touted target. It isn’t going to happen, of course, for various reasons, but “they” undoubtedly want it to happen. They are making a lot of noise about it. True, there is no “shadowy cabal”. The people who want this to happen are the legitimate leaders. Exactly why they are legitimate is a bit of a mystery to me, but the point is that they are not shadowy. We know who they are.

1 Like

Yes, lots of things get phased out over time. What is the point?

They get “phased out” because something better comes along, and people lose interest in the previous (inferior) version. Or, occasionally, because something is causing a lot of problems and a better alternative needs a bit of a leg-up, but those occasions are fairly rare.

In this case ICEs are being phased out by mandate, by “them”, for no obvious purpose other than “because we say so”.

1 Like

Lots of things get mandated out too.

What’s the point?

“More than 200 manufacturers, including Tesla, Volkswagen, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Nissan, Mitsubishi and U.S.-listed electric vehicle start-up NIO, transmit position information and dozens of other data points to government-backed monitoring centers, The Associated Press has found. Generally, it happens without car owners’ knowledge.”

Maybe it’s safer being stuck in the cold in an ev than in a gas car, as the govt can send help.

Depending on your social credit score, of course :wink:

EV Trucks + COLD = a Trudeau wet dream :laughing:

1 Like

This is also found on ICEVs.

This is simply not true. The “fearmongering” comes from TPTB, who are giving people the impression that nothing else will be available to them in a few years’ time. The “shadowy cabal” exists, although they’re not very shadowy.

1 Like

So what do you want? To keep the option to buy these cars?

If the image is true, then what is the kind of control I am experiencing? How am I being controllable for buying an EV? How am I being vulnerable to the shadowy cabal?

1 Like

I think it would be very nice if we had leaders with sufficient vision and imagination to come up with a sensible plan for reducing energy and resource use. Since we do not, I prefer that they just entertain themselves with hookers and cocaine, and leave the rest of us alone.