Electric scooters?

Hi all,
Has anybody seen or heard anything about electric scooters in the last couple of years?

When I was just finishing up my last university job in Taipei (which would have made that 1998, I think) there was a display of electric scooters in the lobby of the building where I worked towards the end of the school year. I think the EPA or the government was giving some kind of modest rebate if you bought one, too.

Anybody heard about this, or know where I could find this type of scooter? Also, how the heck do they charge them – does the battery pack come out or something? (I live on the 6th floor, walkup, no elevator!)

Terry

I’ve seen a few at the ShihLin MRT station. There’s a free(?) recharge service for electric bikes in the motorcycle parking area, but there weren’t enough outlets for me to plug-in my electric shaver…

Regards,

The Big Babou.

quote:
Originally posted by ironlady: Has anybody seen or heard anything about electric scooters in the last couple of years?
Yes, sometimes I see the one or other in Taichung or Chiayi. (Easy to recognise: You see them, but don't really hear them...)

quote[quote]I think the EPA or the government was giving some kind of modest rebate if you bought one, too.[/quote]
That’s what I heard too. But unfortunately, a friend told me (not otherwise confirmed though) that those rebates only apply to ROC citizens…

quote[quote]Anybody heard about this, or know where I could find this type of scooter? Also, how the heck do they charge them – does the battery pack come out or something? (I live on the 6th floor, walkup, no elevator!)[/quote]
You can start at these locations:
http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byP/ev/escoot/byGeo/byC/Taiwan/Taiwan.shtml
http://www.uqm.com/Technologies/programs/scooter.htm

These days, most electric scooters should have the whole charging circuitry included, in that case they can be fed directly with 110V AC. I hope you have 110V somewhere downstairs - from the sixth floor an extension cord should be veeerrryyyy long and will be almost useless…

Does anyone know more about the rebate and whom it applies to?

There was an article in the Taipei Times recently (within the last month?) saying that the rebate is to be discontinued. Not sure if it was effective immediately or if there is a “last time buy” period.

You might try asking the cops at CKS memorial - they ride them.