Electric vehicles

“Another new feature is a built-in cup holder which comes with a non-slip rubber lining, perfect for Taiwanese pearl milk tea.:rofl::joy:

1 Like

When will they be completed and what will they add percentage wise to generating capacity?

" Jan De Nul Group (Official) from Belgium and Japanese Hitachi Ltd. signed a contract on Monday for the manufacturing and installation of 21 5.2 megawatt wind turbines for the Changhua Offshore Wind Farm Project, developed by Taiwan Power Company. These 21 turbines will generate a total capacity of 109,2 MW. The wind farm will be ready at the end of 2020. Belgian companies such as Jan De Nul Group are working hard to realize Taiwan’s green revolution"

Off-shore windmills.

Off-shore power

Given those numbers we can’t hang our hats on them for any meaningful addition to the grid, even when it’s windy.

Enough to power about 100,000 homes or 1/7 of the next TSMC fab. TSMC is the biggest green energy subscriber in Taiwan but I wish they’d invest more to develop their own green energy sources.

1 Like

That would be fantastic if it weren’t for the fact that there are approximately 9 million homes in Taiwan and those homes only account for around 20% of Taiwan’s electricity consumption.

Visualization by Víctor San Vicente con d3 for Electric Generation Visualization in Spain
Revised by Ling-Jyh Chen, based data Taiwan Power Company for Electric Generation Visualization in Taiwan.

It records the last 24 hours of production (very detailed), and consumption of energy in Taiwan

https://pm25.lass-net.org/Power_TW/?fbclid=IwAR3CYQeraxzl8U4bFe5RB_9lufmrL6tnZExc49Kv7FrEydY7BuP53zlbA-o

Okay, so…erm… Can we go back to the topic ‘electric vehicles’ ?

2 Likes

Press Release from Cake, light electric off-road motorbikes (shortened)
(Stockholm – May 16, 2019)

A Cake track in the middle of Stockholm!
In the past 10 years, the majority of motor tracks have been shut down due to disturbance. SkiStar Hammarbybacken and CAKE join forces to change these stats and announce the opening of the first commercial, CAKE track in the middle of the city.

”Serving the market with clean, easy to ride, non disturbing and exciting activities, is something that ski resorts around the world are looking for. Several other initiatives are being planned for, both in North America as well as in Europe.” said Stefan Ytterborn CEO & Founder.

Indeed, no noise, no pollution… and then no need to go up the mountains and the countryside… What about Taiwan?

2019%20stockholm%20cake%20track%2001
2019%20stockholm%20cake%20track%2002

No snow!

Tesla releases new Do It Yourself maintenance instructions for their cars

Tesla has released new ‘Do It Yourself’ maintenance procedure instructions to help owners work on their own cars.

Over the last few years, Tesla has said that it’s working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars, but we haven’t seen much evidence of that — though things have been slowly moving in the right direction.

Last year, Tesla released the parts catalog for Model 3, Model S, Model X and Roadster to the public.

Now Tesla is also releasing a series of new instructions for ‘Do It Yourself’ procedures for Model 3 vehicles.

Tesla releases new Do It Yourself maintenance instructions for their cars | Electrek

China’s first city in world to have complete e-buses & taxis

e-buses & taxis-Shenzhen, in southeastern China currently have more than 16,000 electric buses and 12,000 electric taxis with metropolis’s palm-fringed boulevards. There are none diesel or gasoline buses or taxis available there and all-electric vehicles are made in China.

https://electricvehicles.in/chinas-first-city-in-world-to-have-complete-e-buses-taxis/?fbclid=IwAR2Io4MPaIwZWBKAywPfEQBoWi6NPQniJV74-5XwSxz7emQ_ZKuDYeaa4p0

Just found a new one from India.

Ather 450

1 Like

It’s happening. Get on board or get left behind.

2 Likes

Impressive I guess Musk will stick together the first one himself to claim they delivered on time.:grinning:

1 Like

ITRI has rolled out an autonomous eletric bus.

3 Likes

You don’t have to believe in climate change (or as the deniers now phrase it, “it’s happening but it’s not man-made”). You only have to believe in bad air and the fact that the switch to alternative energies is happening (and so there are huge markets to be tapped) to do the only thing that makes sense and pursue these technologies. Here’s yet another example of how such a switch is occurring.

1 Like

Many of these trucks take advantage of other benefits of electric motors besides just the heavyweight pulling power they enable. Electric motors are also far more compact than gasoline engines and they don’t require a transmission with multiple gears, another thing that takes up space. That frees up lots of room for something that gas- and diesel-powered trucks usually lack, lockable storage space.

2 Likes

I’ll be damned if I ever buy an SUV, but when they start cubing all the ICE vehicles…
Not the 100th anniversary celebration I was hoping for, but it’s nice to see the dorito in use again

1 Like

I also never thought I’d buy an SUV but now that I have a daughter, I’m actually thinking small electric SUVs are not so bad an idea.

When I move back to the US in 2022, first thing I’m gonna test drive is a VW ID4, which they’ll be making in Chattanooga at that point for $35k sticker. After federal and state incentives, should be around $25k, which is just like… wow.

I’ll also check out the Tesla Model Y, problem is, all the incentives are gone for that one.

1 Like

Electric vehicle startup Rivian said on Wednesday it would begin taking pre-orders for its electric pickup truck and SUV, with deliveries for both EVs scheduled for next year.

The launch editions of the electric R1T pickup and R1S SUV were priced at $75,000 and $77,500, with a 300 mile driving range on both vehicles. (bit.ly/36w1F8G)

Rivian, which is backed by Amazon.com Inc AMZN.O and Ford Motor F.N, said U.S. deliveries for R1T would start in June 2021, while the R1S deliveries would begin in August.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-rivian-electric/ev-maker-rivian-to-start-taking-pre-orders-for-electric-pickup-suv-idUSKBN27R35Y

1 Like