Elon Musk's Magnificent Rebranding of Twitter

Good idea tbh

1 Like

It’s not about right or wrong. It’s about competition. Democrats have found that their ideas don’t sell well in the free marketplace of ideas so they’ve had to curtail the competition or else go out of business. Forumosa is a microcosm of this. Left wing ideas typically end up in the remainder bin and their proponents leave in a huff, grumbling about Forumosa’s “inadequate moderation.”

What’s a remainder bin? FWIW, my impression is that the left and right are pretty evenly represented here, although most of us are broadly pretty centrist.

Related, I’m super curious to see what specific changes Musk will make to Twitter’s moderation policies. I’ve just been watching some clips from Rogan’s episode with Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde – you know, the one that spawned this incoherent meme:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519377424437243904

I bet Musk hasn’t actually watched the episode. My thoughts on it are pretty predictable. First, as usual, it’s a remarkably civil and interesting debate. Rogan is a treasure. I feel like Gadde’s distinction between expounding an unpopular viewpoint and intentionally harrassing a particular person to hurt them makes sense, although I don’t feel like she made the argument as clearly as she could have, at least in the clips I watched. Recent discussion of her personally has been awful on both sides, from mocking her for crying in a meeting to leftists accusing anyone doing so of racism, but that’s neither here nor there.

I do think Tim Pool is right that the hateful conduct policy gets applied more against the right than the left, and I’d hope that gets fixed. There’s a lot of appalling stuff from leftists on Twitter (although they seem to target their own as much as their supposed enemies).

Ideally Musk will just make sure policies like this are as narrow as possible and evenly enforced. Removing them entirely would be bad for the discourse and bad for the many targets of organized harrassment on both sides. I don’t know whether he’s thinking about it at that level of detail, though.

It’s where book stores used to put books they couldn’t sell back in the day when there were still book stores.

1 Like

Elon Musk’s growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

As a small goverment conservative, I find it a waste of public tax money to fund billionaires with corporate welfare. Biden is roundly criticized for runaway inflation, and rightly so. But if we are being even handed we should also note U.S. subsidies going to billionaire trust fund children are also driving up inflation.

Musk receiving 7 billion in government subsidies when baby food is unaffordable to working class people is not going to make America great or fix it’s economy.

Elon Musk hates government subsidies. His companies love them. – Grid News

What would be an example of a left-wing idea put in their remainder bin?

I think people complained that the right-wing Alex Jones conspiracy stuff that has nothing to do with Taiwan, makes this place seem more like Breitbart than a place for new people to find information about Taiwan and share experiences.

Its nothing to do with a free-market of ideas.

2 Likes

It’s always left-wingers clamoring for censorship. We right-wingers are fine with the free market place of ideas.

That sounds like spiel.

Give some examples, I mean specific to Forumosa.

Forumosa will be lucky if it doesn’t end up on a Disinformation Governance Board foreign entity watch list for not “moderating” stringently enough.

Life gets easier if you dont see everything for the veil of the current angry culture-war meta

Good advice for these people:

Yeah I think its good advice for everyone. Not to see everything always through the lens of two sides and wrong or right.

Yes, in the same way as if this place become a haven for Antifa marxist types who mostly didnt live in Taiwan. Most people are sick of the culture war stuff, especially if they are just looking for general information and light chat.

1 Like

I won’t, but it’s been 100% true in my experience.

1 Like

There was a whole thread on it, in IP maybe, a while back. Some n00b wanted to change all the rules to cut out a swath of posters’ apparently contrarian ideas.

Here it is:

2 Likes

I’m still a little amazed how many posters, including ones I respect, liked that post. :grimacing:

There’s a simple hack for that. :whistle:

It’s an interesting thread, for sure. But the whole idea that ideas are harmful is nonsense. Thinking about shitting in bed is an idea; advocating for shitting in bed is promotion; shitting in a bed is what Amber Heard done.

1 Like

The Berkeley in me won’t let me do that… :sweat_smile:

Interestingly, the majority are not active users.
One can assume there’s a correlation there.

1 Like

Probably because they were put off by the conspiracy stuff and more in general, culture wars stuff. In the free market of ideas, you can just go elsewhere

2 Likes

It could be it. Or not. But I’ll refrain from making assumptions.
In any case, we’ll never know as they aren’t here to share their POV.

Happy cake day!