Elon Musk's Magnificent Rebranding of Twitter

I think he’s fine with the libs. It’s the woke he despises.

2 Likes

Niiice. What an unexpected plot twist in this saga. To be fair though, per the article, the breach apparently happened in 2021. Bigger one on the horizon though

Twitter from Elon, after Tim Cook patiently explained that the whole thing was cooked up in Elon’s overheated imagination;

Good conversation. Among other things, we resolved the misunderstanding about Twitter potentially being removed from the App Store. Tim was clear that Apple never considered doing so.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 30, 2022

[7:05 AM · Dec 1, 2022]

So will Ron Desantis apologize for mindlessly repeating bullshit?

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis blasted Apple on Tuesday over Elon Musk’s allegations that it has threatened to boot Twitter from its App Store — and took a dig at the iPhone maker over its history of cooperating with the Chinese Communist Party.[No reference to Musk’s Tesla plants in China? Funny, that.]

DeSantis came to Musk’s defense hours after the billionaire Twitter CEO alleged that Apple has “threatened to withhold Twitter from its App Store, but won’t tell us why.” Musk also claimed that Apple – previously one of Twitter’s biggest advertisers – has pulled back on ads in recent days.
Ron DeSantis backs Elon Musk, warns Apple against axing Twitter from App Store

I jest- one thing DeSantis has learned from Trump is to never apologize, no matter what garbage you’re caught spewing- there’s always some dumb right-winger will believe it.

Checked the replies, no one even bothers to ask who Twitter were interfering for. Everyone knows.

1 Like
1 Like

Meanwhile on the newly transparent, fair, free-speech-supporting Twitter:

Among the other prominent accounts suspended were the Elm Fork John Brown Gun Club, an antifascist group that provides armed security for LGBTQ+ events in North Texas, and CrimethInc, an anarchist collective that has published and distributed anarchist and anti-authoritarian zines, books, posters, and podcasts since the mid-1990s.

All four accounts had been singled out for criticism by Andy Ngo, a far-right writer whose conspiratorial, error-riddled reporting on left-wing protests and social movements fuels the mass delusion that a handful of small antifascist groups are part of an imaginary shadow army called “antifa.” In a public exchange on Twitter on Friday, Musk invited Ngo to report “Antifa accounts” that should be suspended directly to him.

1 Like

Yes, people should be concerned that Musk is giving authenticity to political hacks/trolls like Andy Ngo and Dinesh D’Souza. It’s on a laundry list of things people should be concerned about regarding Musk. Neuralink? Exploitative factories? Influence from hostile state actors? I could keep going, but apparently Musk gets a pass because he knows the right groups to pander to.

So it happened. Musk suspended Kanye for his anti-Semitic meltdown.

3 Likes

FAFO??

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2022/12/01/jack_posobiec_elon_musk_didnt_just_buy_a_company_he_purchased_a_crime_scene.html

3 Likes

That’s all you have to read on this one :roll_eyes: Weird piece for the Intercept. Antifa members organizing violence on Twitter was long an ignored issue. But, definitely watching how this all pans out. Things look pretty arbitrary at the moment. I think it’s going to take some time to shake out and get stable practices in place, but if it’s going to be a Twitter that is slanted against left-wing voices, I’m no more comfortable with that than with the Twitter that was slanted against right-wing voices.

I will say that if things like this that these Intercept writers are disingenuously complaining about are not allowed, far far for the better and far far more likely I may spend time there.

1 Like

I mean, I find those tweets pretty disgusting, but I’m not sure they reach the bar for illegal speech. Insert Voltaire quote here.

Illegal? I’m sure not but I’m not going to split hairs over it at the moment. They do need to get consistent practices in though. I’d be all in favor of a set that doesn’t allow that kind of speech.

2 Likes

I guess I would too, but I’m also not super optimistic that Elon can define it clearly – and if he can’t, I’d prefer him to just follow the law (which could then be amended to define hate speech, say, as the EU already does).

At any rate, having him personally ban people at whim might actually be worse than it was before!

It’s not that hard, really. I’m sure they will.

I wouldn’t even use it before, and I’m on the fence now. Things are in flux. We’ll see how it shakes out! I’m impressed by Musk’s level of commitment :slight_smile:

without moderation beyond following the law, it’d go downhill quickly.

1 Like

He’s using Matt Taibbi to tell the story, interesting.

4 Likes

FBI raids Elon’s house at 4:59.

3 Likes

How about this kind of speech?

Anglin has publicly indicated that the goal of his operation and adherence to white nationalist ideology is to “ethnically cleanse White nations of non-Whites and establish an authoritarian government. Many people also believe that the Jews should be exterminated.” Anglin is a staunch supporter of Nazi ideology and regularly espouses Holocaust denail. In 2018, Anglin wrote that he “[hates] women. I think they deserve to be beaten, raped and locked in cages.”

NEO-NAZI ANDREW ANGLIN has been reinstated to Twitter under
Elon Musk
(Daily Stormer | Right Wing Watch) had been banned from Twitter since 2013.

The Daily Stormer is named after that great old (official) Nazi newspaper, Der Sturm
Wiki-

SPLC lawsuit[edit]

In April 2017, the Southern Poverty Law Center filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of Tanya Gersh, accusing Anglin of instigating an anti-Semitic harassment campaign against Gersh, a Whitefish, Montana, real estate agent.[7][8] In July 2019, a judge issued a $14 million default judgment against Anglin, who is in hiding and has refused to appear in court.[9][10][11] On November 9, 2022, a warrant was issued for Anglin’s arrest for ignoring the judgment against him. [12]

Sines v. Kessler[edit]

See also: Sines v. Kessler

In October 2017, Anglin was named as a defendant in a case brought by nine Charlottesville residents following the Unite the Right rally in August 2017. Anglin was named alongside Robert “Azzmador” Ray as responsible for The Daily Stormer website, as well as Moonbase Holdings.[13] A default judgement was entered against Anglin who did not participate in the trial.[14]

Dean Obeidallah[edit]

In August 2017, Muslim American radio presenter Dean Obeidallah sued The Daily Stormer in an Ohio federal court. Anglin had published fake images which purported to show Obeidallah celebrating the 2017 Manchester Arena bombing. The lawsuits cleared a longstanding hurdle in March 2018, when U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremiah Lynch declared that there was sufficient evidence of Anglin being domiciled in Ohio despite living abroad.[15] In July, the court found in Obeidallah’s favor, with neither Anglin nor his representatives present in court.[16]

Taylor Dumpson, the first black student body president at American University, sued Anglin in May 2018 for organizing a racist and sexist trolling campaign against her.[17] She alleges that Anglin had posted her name and picture, as well as links to her Facebook page and the Twitter account of the university’s student government, and urged his readers to “troll storm” her, which resulted in many hate-filled and racist online messages directed at her. Although Dumpson and Anglin have not reached a settlement, she settled in December 2018 with one of the people who harassed her, a man from Eugene, Oregon named Evan McCarty who was a neo-Nazi musician and former theatre actor known as “Byron de la Vandal” (named after Byron De La Beckwith, the assassin of Medgar Evers) who served as a member of the fascist Vanguard America and affiliated with the Daily Stormer. McCarty was required to apologize, to renounce white supremacy, to stop trolling and doxing online, and to provide information to and cooperate with authorities in the prosecution of white supremacists.[18] The lawsuit that was brought on her behalf was led by the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law which continues to use litigation as a tool to fight extremism and to slow the efforts[19] of white supremacists.[20]

On August 9, 2019, a Federal judge awarded Dumpson a judgment of over $725,000, to be paid by Andrew Anglin, Brian Andrew Ade, and the shell company which owns The Daily Stormer. The defendants did not show up to contest the lawsuit, so a default judgment was entered against them, consisting of $101,429.28 in compensatory damages, punitive damages of $500,000 and attorney’s fees and costs of $124,022.10. A restraining order was also handed down, as was an injunction not to publish anything more about Dumpson. The judgement came only a day after Tanya Gersh was awarded a $14 million default judgment against Anglin.[21][22]

The kind of invective you decry (which is commonplace on right-wing sites, from right-wing pulpits, and in election-deniers giving their opinions at official meetings) offends you more than actions?

1 Like