Emergency volunteers

I’ve been thinking about this for a while:

(From Gustav Missing thread)

Is it plausible to setup a volunteer (read club/activity for the sake of legality)
organisation of foreigners in Taiwan who would be interested in setting up a team in case something bad should happen - I’m talking typhoons, earthquakes and people being lost?
There are many people who post on this board who have a realm of different knowlege and experience and possibly related formal training. As an organisation, information could be shared in meetings/activities and learning workshops could be organised thus ensuring a team or group which has a safe capability for searching/rescue should the need arise.

Back in the UK, there are many small teams of people who are willing to put aside time to help the emergency services and I’m sure this is true in other countries too. In Taiwan, where the emergency services can’t really be trusted to do their jobs properly, it only seems logical to have an organisation with members who are willing and able to help if the situation arises.

Just a suggestion. How many people would be interested?

I think this is a great idea. I am interested. A Forumosa Emergency Squad.

I want to get one of those torches you can wear on your head. If they are on offer then I’m in.

In orienteering at school, I was always found wondering the bush well after dark. I used to be pretty good at absailing though, I was good at the crucifix without the harness.

Talk about drumming up your own business DM. I know we didn’t get that many other respondents.

Could you have imagined if it were only 914 and I out looking for you? We’d have been sitting on some stump somewhere sharing a beer and smokes. Saying things like, “He’s got to be out there somewhere. Poor bastard. It’s pretty dark out there. You go first.”

“No, you go.”

“No you go.”

“Ok, I’ll go first but you got to let me carry the flashlight…”

Anyway, we’re glad you’re OK.

Muzha Man has a valid point when it comes to wandering around on the mountains, but surely it has to be worth discussing contingencies and maybe having some procedures in place?

The obvious situation that comes to mind is an earthquake. If there are networks of people in different geographical locations who know - or have access to - each other’s contact details and physical addresses then the task of finding out who’s missing gets a lot easier.

And once we know we are OK, or even if we don’t, wouldn’t it be grand if a carload of volunteers and supplies were willing and able to go to an affected area and dig people out? I’m not talking well-meaning bumble-heads here, I mean a small group who have some relevant training and experience, who can liaise with the local authorities and actually contribute something.

There should be a bank account set up in advance for people to make donations into.

There are other scenarios too. Who knows what to do and where to meet up for evacuation if China really does decide to invade? Do you have plans for your significant other?

What happens if one of those nuclear power plants blows a gasket? The plant at Wanli could blanket Taipei with fallout in 30 minutes.

Or, in simpler cases, when Joe Foreigner drives (or gets pushed) off a mountain or has a heart attack at work then who takes care of him/her?

Worse of all, what will we do if the internet goes down?

Drums…drums through-out the island.

Drums…drums through-out the island.[/quote]

Oh, no! Can the bass solos be far behind?!?

OOC

[quote=“Loretta”]Muzha Man has a valid point when it comes to wandering around on the mountains, but surely it has to be worth discussing contingencies and maybe having some procedures in place?

The obvious situation that comes to mind is an earthquake. If there are networks of people in different geographical locations who know - or have access to - each other’s contact details and physical addresses then the task of finding out who’s missing gets a lot easier.

And once we know we are OK, or even if we don’t, wouldn’t it be grand if a carload of volunteers and supplies were willing and able to go to an affected area and dig people out? I’m not talking well-meaning bumble-heads here, I mean a small group who have some relevant training and experience, who can liaise with the local authorities and actually contribute something.

There should be a bank account set up in advance for people to make donations into.

There are other scenarios too. Who knows what to do and where to meet up for evacuation if China really does decide to invade? Do you have plans for your significant other?

What happens if one of those nuclear power plants blows a gasket? The plant at Wanli could blanket Taipei with fallout in 30 minutes.

Or, in simpler cases, when Joe Foreigner drives (or gets pushed) off a mountain or has a heart attack at work then who takes care of him/her?

Worse of all, what will we do if the internet goes down?[/quote]

While we’re at it, let’s just set up our own government.

Seems, we already have a benevolent leader:

Guardian of the Cooler.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Might be a good idea to have a directory of people in different locations that are willing to help other foreigners in times of need.

[quote=“Fox”]…Could you have imagined if it were only 914 and I out looking for you? We’d have been sitting on some stump somewhere sharing a beer and smokes. Saying things like, “He’s got to be out there somewhere. Poor bastard. It’s pretty dark out there. You go first.”

“No, you go.”

“No you go.”

“Ok, I’ll go first but you got to let me carry the flashlight…”[/quote]
Haha, so true so true… :notworthy:
We’d play stone, paper, scissors to decide who actually has to get off their ass and actually go do some work.